Hello all,
I've been lurking around the forums for a bit, but I rarely make an appearance. That should really change
I recently made a thread on handstands, before I could chip in my thanks and thoughts it was locked, so I'll say it here, thank you to all who pitched in there, it was an absolutely fascinating thread!
I have a few questions floating around in my mind, so let me explain:
I had programmed myself a great routine that was allowing me to progress through my goals at the rate I was looking for and it was working great for me, pre-college. I started the program over the summer holidays and was making some progress as you do. Once college started I of course worked out less and scaled the workouts back, which at first was fine with me I did not need to be doing 2hr workouts 6 days a week, and scaled it back to three one hour sessions.
Now as anyone who has been to college knows I kept getting caught up in the work-party-eat shit-sleep mode for a few months, packed on an impressive number of pounds and lost an equally impressive amount of muscle. I worked out less and less, sometimes there being a week between one workout and the next. It was sometimes 2-3 weeks before a Pull or Push workout.
Anyways, enough whimpering back-story. The main point I am concerned with is that I regressed in all areas, a lot. From holding simple static positions such as the frog stand, tuck planche and elbow lever for more than a minute to trying to vainly hold on for 10 seconds.
However even though I can only hold a tuck planche for a few seconds now I can still how an advanced tuck planche and sometimes a straddle planche (though it is horrendous form and very close to the ground).
My question for this part then is should I go and start back with my static positions from square one and work back up to 60s holds with the basics, or try and continue the current progressions and just work on improving the form again.
Also, on a curious sidenote I could never do a full back lever before college but now after 4 months of metabolic rape I can for some reason do a full back lever for 6-10s, even though my pulling strength has decreased somewhat.
Another discussion would be brilliant guys, the last one was very very useful in seeing the different opinions.
Thanks, Chris.