Newbie Looking For A Routine Critique

Started by Erik Bowling, December 17, 2012 · 2 Replies · 2,174 Views

Erik Bowling

Hello everyone,

 

My goals as far as what I would like this to achieve are to increase strength with a secondary goal of fat loss, as well as, a long term goal of improved physical fitness. That said, the fat loss part will be a matter of scrutinizing my diet while the increase in strength would be a matter of proper progression.

 

On to the actual routine I've come up with. This has been based on basic information within the program design portion of the book. I'm planning on doing an integrated program in which I work 4 days a week with a different static hold each day paired with vertical push/pulls the first day, core and leg work the second, horizontal push/pulls on the third, and a repeat of core and leg work on the fourth.

 

This is the breakdown of holds and exercises I will be doing on those days, though it's preliminary as I'm not entirely certain how difficult and/or easy some of these movements will prove to be, so I've chosen the bare minimum level for much of this:

 

All holds will be 10 sets of 6 second holds and all BWE will be 3 sets of 5 reps. This will be done over an 8 week cycle.

 

Day 1:

Tucked Back Lever, Negative Pull Ups(though this may change to standard chins or pull ups), Frog Stands, Box Headstand Push ups

 

Day 2:

Tucked Front Lever, Deck Squats, Tucked L-Sit, Tucked V-Up

 

Day 3:

Tucked Back Lever, Ring Rows, Frog Stand, Ring Push Ups

 

Day 4:

Tucked Front Lever, Deck Squats, Tucked L-Sit, Tucked V-Up

 

I came up with this so I would get a bit of extra training in for my legs(something I consider a weak point) as well as work on the Tucked Lever and Tucked L-sit an equal amout to the Tucked Back Lever and Tucked Frog Stand.

 

Questions I have:

 

Is this a reasonable basic routine to get myself going?

 

Is repeating the stands twice a week helpful or harmful long term for development? (ie. is there any chance of too much work with this breakdown assuming a 48 hour rest period before any repeats)

 

Beyond that, if you have any advice as to how I may improve upon this or see anything that I may not, I welcome the critiques. Thanks in advance for your time.

Rik de Kort

If you're doing core work, you'll want to to do some back conditioning as well. Archups, reverse leg lifts, that stuff.

Erik Bowling
Rik de Kort said:
If you're doing core work, you'll want to to do some back conditioning as well. Archups, reverse leg lifts, that stuff.

Thank you for pointing that out, I thought I overlooked something.