Question about Steady State Programming

Started by Matthew Green, December 3, 2008 · 4 Replies · 2,835 Views

Matthew Green

Ok, I understand how this works over an 8-12 week period and it makes good sense. However, wont it mean that for the first couple of weeks, you will be doing a tough workout each time? This is generally not advised by most people. Pavel talks a lot about cycling workout intensity throughout the week for example.

Or have I misinterpereted it all? :shock:

George Launchbury

Hi Matthew,

Your interpretation is correct. A lot of Pavel's cycles tend to peak with the most intensity, whereas Coach's "Steady State" cycle is the exact opposite. Over-load, load and then under-load.

George.

Blairbob

Interesting, Jason but I'd argue most of us have not hit that sort of peak where everything nearly flattens out ( elite level ).

Jason Ingram

I agree, and was thinking that for absolute beginners, steady state cycles lasting a few weeks may work well, where as 8 weeks or so may work well with intermediate athletes. The article shows that a much longer steady state cycle can work for very advanced athletes.