Victorian Coaching, Ideas And Suggestions

Started by mirroredrain, November 29, 2012 · 34 Replies · 5,418 Views

mirroredrain

First off good job with the assisted VC's! You sound like you're pretty diligent on form (retracted scaps, locked out elbows??) um, my experience is different because I train them kind of opposite of you apparently :) in Maltese, particularly BL=>Maltese, I tend to externally rotate my wrists so that my pisiform (think that's what it's called) is in full contact with the rings and pressing pretty hard. I feel like this gives me a slight mechanical advantage...

In Victorian I have recently decided to focus more on pressing backwards with my posterior delts and outwardly, kind of like what you suggested. With my wrists though, I use a normal grip and once again bring the rings into contact with my hands at the pisiform mainly. As a side note, when I do VC stuff, I always internally rotate my humerus pretty hardcore and my elbows face in towards my body (opposite of Danny who has his elbows pointing out and across his body) . the way I'm trying to do it makes it way harder i think but seems to make more sense with locked elbows idk...

Joshua Slocum

Hmm, my elbows were pointed away from my body and slightly down. I'll have a video up tomorrow.

Joshua Slocum

Here's one from today:

 

http://youtu.be/Sf6NRzYvo-g

 

Note that the counterweight in this video is 70#, and my form suffers for the decrease. 

mirroredrain

I like it! Your arm-shoulder position looked good, just try to keep those hips up! That seems like a decent way to develop some strength. Wish I had a pulley system :)

Joshua Slocum

[Not trying you hijack your thread, just posting more videos for comparison]

 

This is me from today with a slightly greater 75# counterweight:

 

http://youtu.be/hmCJK-01Yqg

mirroredrain

No problem man post as many vids as you want. This thread is meant to be for brainstorming and analyzing! Good form btw.

mirroredrain

Been working on this transition lately. It might help with the regular VC leans.

 

 

 

It's a good idea to record yourself often because when you feel you're totally horizontal, usually you aren't. I could have had my shoulders in line with my hands if I knew they weren't in the first place  :facepalm:

Joshua Slocum

Training in the middle of snowstorm? That's dedication  :D 
 

 

I always try take a loot at my shoulders when I lower into a hold. Here, for example, I lower to a cross, glance to my side, see I'm too high, and then lower to the correct position: 

 

mirroredrain

Thanks man, cool cross in the vid :) I tried it on my VCs today be its harder to do than in a cross! I think its hard to turn your head because your levator scapulae and the other neck muscles need to be contracted hard. I was able to use my peripherals though and that should help from now on.

Joshua Naterman

You're making progress, MD, keep training safe and smart!