Planche Leans And Ppp Form Check

Started by Cappe, November 27, 2012 · 31 Replies · 5,969 Views

Sam Carr

It also looks like you lose protraction when you go down in the PPPs. Your shoulders/upper back should look the same at the bottom as they do at the top

Daniel Burnham

It sort of looks like there is too much curvature in your lower spine in the planche leans. Its kinda hard to tell from this close.

B1214N
Sam Carr said:

It also looks like you lose protraction when you go down in the PPPs. Your shoulders/upper back should look the same at the bottom as they do at the top

It doesn't matter as long as he protracts during the concentric and reaches full protraction at the top.

Cole Dano
B1214N said:

It doesn't matter as long as he protracts during the concentric and reaches full protraction at the top.

Yes, just to make sure the OP doesn't get the wrong idea.

On your Leans, you do need to protract your scapula more as well as a bit more depression, not a lot though.

On the PPP, your body line is breaks, at the top of your first rep you had a nice PL shape, but then at the bottom your core gave out and it stayed that way the rest of the set. Stay tight in the core and move your body as a unit.

Cappe

PPP:

I'm moving backwards ok I'll try to fix that, maybe I need to upper the leverage a bit.

I guess my body line breaks because I try to touch floor with the chest on the way down, but is it enough to let the chin touch the floor?

PL:

It feels like I can't protract more :/ What should I do then? Also depression means shoulders back a bit here right? Like pushing them away from the chin a bit more?

Cappe

Hi again!

I've tried to fix the problems but I'm still not sure if it's good yet? I tried to focus on pushing straight up instead of back, also I did only lower myself until chin touched the ground because while doing chest to floor my body line breaks. Is this good?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=hjo8CKEONXc

Cappe

Ah I see! Thanks, but if I fix that my form is nearly perfect right? :)

Cappe

Cool! :D

Joshua Naterman

When you can, post a video of what you feel is a single perfect rep, focusing on the protraction! That will help us continue to iron out any lingering issues.

 

You're doing a great job of cleaning things up!

Cappe

Sure! :)

Probably coming up on saturday then.

 

Well better get it done right from the start  :)

 

BTW, what is this???  :not_the_easter_egg:

Rik de Kort

Not the easter egg. :P

Cappe

Ahhh I see haha!

Cappe

Well I do them supersetted with HS, FL and BL progressions so it's quite heavy. I'd like to be able to do a planche on the floor with my hands 45° degrees to the side and the only way to work for that is training in that position right? 

 

So do you recommend me to use less leverage to make it slightly easier? 

Cappe

Ah, maybe I should consider changing to hands pointing backwards on both leans and PPP because they put loads of strain on the wrist (and fingers back planche is way cooler than fingers forward).

 

I do like this:

A1. Planche leans 15s

A2. Adv. tuck front lever 8 s

A3. Flat tuck back lever 10s

A4. Handstand stomach against wall 15s

 

3 days a week 8 rounds with between 10-40 sec rest between exercises and full sets (only 4 rounds on one workout which is a deload) 

workout). So I do that 4 times a week in total.

 

I don't really want to focus on planche as FL is my biggest goal, but I do them first anyway.

Cappe

I know it's a lot, but Killroy is doing it like that and he saw some awesome gains! 

I just lower to 4 rounds on on day a week because I don't want to do 8 rounds two days in a row + dynamic exercises. 

 

I've just done this for 2 weeks now and it feels ok, but I think I'm going to end the cycle before increasing work times or lower the rounds, my goal is to get good form and some basic strength from this SSC. 

 

But I don't know if I should work planche leans with fingers backward... 

Cappe

I tried fingers backwards to the side 45° today and it felt good but as usual, no idea about my form...

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=ajAwJFeAwKU'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=ajAwJFeAwKU

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=NDxKIhnzKhU'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=NDxKIhnzKhU

 

Also I did PPP's and last set looked good to me but didn't feel good at all in the neck, it felt quite compromised...

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=UpnsD4Vq88s'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=UpnsD4Vq88s

Cappe

Leans:

Awesome! So fingers backwards/to side 45° will be my hand position on the leans then. Will I still gain strength for fingers pointing forward PL progressions? 

 

PPP:

Hmm.. Yeah I see that too and actually I felt it while doing them, but I really focused on scapula position and moving body as one unit. If I can combine that with my previous PPP video where I focused on moving straight up I think the reps will look really good! :)

 

SSC: 

I know, I started it in one way and did it for 2 weeks, and now I changed it 2 weeks ago to this and I counted that as a restart of my SSC. 

Actually the SSC is getting harder and harder because of the cold weather and all snow. When I started I could do it shirtless (around 5-10°C) and now I'm using heavier shoes and more layers of clothes (it's like -10°C now and sometimes I can't feel my fingers while doing pull-ups on our "ice bar"). 

 

I'll maybe load up another PPP video when I think I've mastered it! :)

Cappe

Naww... That's cute haha!  :lol:

 

Well, now when I've started doing leans with hands backwards 45° to the side it might be a good idea to start PPP in the same way, and hopefully I'll get stronger in that position and maybe I'll be able to progress into a good tuck planche with hands backwards with proper protraction and a nice lean? :)

Joshua Naterman

Just back your heels up to the wall and keep them there the whole time, you can't move at all. No way to cheat.

 

I used to use the tape on floor method along with the heels to wall, and it was excellent for me.

Cappe

Thanks a lot both of you for the tips! I'll try hands facing backwards 45° to the side and I think it will be much easier to push in a straight line. If that ain't working I put my heels to the wall! 

 

BTW what is Carnegie Hall? :)

Cappe

No problem, I was sleeping here in Sweden anyway :D 

 

I'm very weak at those pushups and I can barely lean at all while doing them, but I'll try my best and see how it looks, if I think it looks good I let you guys check!