Hello,
I have been training the first progression for Front Lever for about a month and a half and my tucked front lever has been steadily getting more solid and I'm able to hold it for longer. Ditto for German Hang and Back Lever. I don't have access to rings so all my training for now is on a pullup bar (a smith machine to be more specific).
The way I've been initiating the front lever is by doing half of a tucked front pull, that is I pull from hang into front lever. I take some care in making sure that I initiate the the front pull with retracted scapula, so it's a sequence of hang -> retract scapula (hold it for a bit) -> pull into front lever, trying to keep the scapula retracted (albeit I never keep that in the front lever, it seems more of a question of making sure that I use the shoulders to pull correctly).
The thing is, if I try to do it the same way I've seen most people here do on rings, that is start from an inverted hang, I can't hit the front lever as I those 90 degrees between the front lever and inverted hang I have no strength at all in that position, so I don't have enough control to stop my body in the front lever so I fall just below parallel (and then I don't have enough strength left to correct).
When I do back lever, I have a similar issue, I can't do a 360 pull with straight arms, so to get past that 90 degrees I just pull up and kind of just "drop" to inverted hang while straightening the arms. I don't have this problem in the back lever as from inverted hang I lower very slowly into the back lever almost centimeter by centimeter.
This shows that training is incredibly specific as the position I haven't been training is the one I have no strength all. The question is, would it be more productive to forget about front lever training and focusing on lowering from inverted hang with control and straight arms with the goal of eventually being able to stop in the front lever position and eventually being able to do a hang to inverted hang with straight arms (a 180 pull if you will) or should I just keep doing the front lever training and add this as assistance work ?
Thanks in advance.