Goals Set!

Started by J0sh45, November 13, 2012 · 2 Replies · 1,750 Views

J0sh45

Hey Guys

I was doing Coach's WOD's for a good consistant while, fell out of it and am now back to square one.

I've started up again and I'm currently doing statics: German hangs, bent L-sits, the frog, arch hollow hold, as well as ring hangs etc.

What I want to achieve, is this:

Planche

Muscle Up

Handstand

Ripped physique

Is it worth me going back to the WOD'S or should I create some program which is fundamentally based around these movements?

Also, I am a novice, so I don't even know if I'm covering what I should be covering in terms of strength/conditioning.

I'd love some advice from the experts!!! What should I do? What exercises should I be doing in order to get to where I want to go. Should I be just doing WOD's or concentrating on specific areas?

Any help is appreciated :)

Jon Douglas

You've started a couple threads on this, so it sort of seems to me like you're looking for an OK to not do WoDs.

That is absolutely OK, especially if you have very specific goals. Personally I don't think you're going to find better all-round development than the WoD cycle (plus the odd prioritisation of one or two specific movements at a time), but if all-round is not what you're going for, then go ahead and train your priorities. You'll progress in those areas, , you just won't be laying the foundation all across the board. And I'd be surprised if you achieved a straddle planche, strong HS and say 10+ MU and didn't have a ripped physique.

My personal, non-expert opinion for a program minimum is to prioritise your goal movements there, add an Lsit until you're ready to add/replace it with front lever progressions to it to keep some balance going on, and do some nutrition research to cut up however you like. If it were me I'd really prioritise developing my handstand, I think that'd give the most return per time invested. It might turn out that after progressing some in those goals, say getting several muscle ups, you want to develop it into Basic Ring Strength 3. Adding to the list later is easy, but there is a lot to be said for having narrow focus to begin with.

J0sh45

Cool!

I think to be honest I'm just avoiding trying to do WOD's to save time, that's actually what is really going on! haha

Why would you replace L-sit progressions with Front Lever? You wouldn't do both?

I think during my statics I'll also do Handstand work and muscle-up work and then head on into the WOD :)