Just Ordered The Book - Quick Equipment Question

Started by shalak1989, November 9, 2012 · 7 Replies · 2,269 Views

shalak1989

Hey guys:

My goals are to gain muscle, strength, and any other attainable benefits with short workouts (I have very little muscle and strength) and I also know that I won't be getting a bodybuilders physique but that is not my goal.

I just ordered the book today (without the rings) and needed some help with my situation. I know a lot of questions will be answered via the book but I am wondering if I can still do most of the program with no rings?

I am a business traveler so I will be on the road staying in hotels a lot with my only equipment being tables, chairs, beds, the floor, and the room door (I can do pull ups and maybe some lever type positions?)

I may reach a point later on where my location is more set but for now training requiring specialized equipment is probably going to be difficult. Anyone else have a similar situation? I do know that I should be able to do a lot without them but I see ring training talked about all the time here. A compromise may be I could train on the rings one week but maybe not the other depending on where I have to travel for that month. I am just not sure I can do it consistently.

Cole Dano

It certainly possible to do many of the exercise.

Is it an option for you to carry a in doorway style pull up bar? They are quite compact when screwed all the way down and don't weigh much.

You will have to be a bit flexible with your programming but with your situation, you should be able to build a workable program.

When you get to that point, make a post if you want some feedback.

shalak1989

Are these ones that do not bolt directly into the door but rather just tighten in tension? The reason I am asking is I was under the impression those may break loose and cause injury.

Cole Dano

It might depend on the exact model you get.

I picked one up and it worked great for a few months, then the rubber seemed to degrade and it would slowly slip down. At that point it was time for a new one, or replacement rubber if it's an option.

If you do levers just set it low so if there is an accidental slip it's not a big deal.

Rik de Kort

You can definitely do a lot without rings. However, you seem to think that the rings are 'fixed', ie. you get them up somewhere and then they stay there because it's too much of a hassle to get them down. They are not. You can easily go out with your rings, find a tree and throw your rings over the branches. Takes like 1 minute to set up and then another minute to get them down.

Cole Dano

That's very true. I have a 'portable set of rings, that I cut the straps down on and made a quick attach set up. Works great.

If you are doing it so you need to feed the strap in through the back of the clamp every time, It goes a bit easier if you put some packing tape at the end of the strap and cut it to a point. This lets it feed more easily.

I was imagining the OP might not have access to a tree, or time ti find one that he could use without risk of getting locked up.

shalak1989

thanks for the tips guys:

At this point a lot is in the air I could be on the road 10 hours away from my home quite often so that would mean hotels... it will probably be awhile before I get to where I can utilize the rings well anyway so I guess I will see what happens first.

Couldn't I attach the rings to the collapsable pull-up bar?

Rik de Kort

Yep.