Duration Of Training Sessions And Rest Periods

Started by bigB, November 9, 2012 · 2 Replies · 2,535 Views

bigB

Currently, my workout contains:

- the 6 prereqs for 60s

- the 5 FSP ( FL tuck advanced, BL tuck adv, frogstand, L-sit PB)

- 3 FBEs ( l-chins, RTO dips, HeSPUs, etc.)

I've been training for a few decades, but gymnastics is new to me.

Historically, I've tried to limit my training sessions to 45 minutes or less because of studies I've seen suggesting training beyond 45 minutes mutes the hormonal response.

This just doesn't seem possible with the BtGB program as most of my workouts average 70 -100 minutes.

I do embedded sets to try to do the workouts as efficiently as possible.

Reading a thread on overtraining, slizardman mentioned that he had been training throughout the day and seeing great results.

I too have experimented with Greasing the groove and gotten good results on chins and rings dips.

Fortunately, I work from home several times a week so all day training can easily be implemented.

I'm going to try to provide light nutrition during the workout. (BCAAs, whey, fruit and or rice )

My questions are:

Should I put any limits on the workout duraction (e.g. less than 3 hours )?

Does the amount of time between FSP sets matter? Should I be shooting for 3-5 minutes between sets?

I've been spending about 60 - 90s between sets on a FSP. I could see how you'd want these sets relatively close because it would the accumulated stress might help adaptation.

What is the maximum time I should spend between sets before the muscles are no longer "warmed up"?

Any other thoughts on warnings or guidelines for all day training?

bigB

Thanks for the input Jeff.

I'm talking about doing the exact same workout volume wise, just taking lots of time between sets.

I'm 6'1" 225 lbs.

Training 3 times a week.

Here is the last workout I did:

plank elv feet 60

rev plank flr 60s

hollow body 60s

superman 60s

ring supports 40s, 20s working on getting rings off forearms

False grip hangs TESTED 20s, work sets 10s, 10, 10, 10 ( I'm doing these instead of hangs because I can already do 60s hangs )

HS wall 40s, 40s

HSPU 1, 1, 1

a1 FL advanced 12s, 12, 12, 12( 45s rest)

a2a tuck row 3, 2 these are too difficult for embedded sets

a2b elevated row 5, 5 tried false grip, but could only get 1 so I did feet elevated rows

b1 BL advanced 10s, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10 ( 15s rest then)

b2 Frogstand 15s, 15, 15, 15 (45 s rest then)

b3 Ring dips 3, 3, 4

c1 L-sit 10s, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10 (15s rest )

c2a 360 pulls tuck 3, 3, 3

c2b deck pistols 3, 3; stepups (53# kbs) * 5

Total time 80 minutes

So I'm wondering if it would be better to just do this in straight sets and take 60+ seconds between movements.

3D Guy

just split your workouts in two parts...

skill work might be included in the beginning of any of two workouts...

work in one part the FSP

and in the other one the FBE

it gives you more time to recovery through the day...