Hi, my name is Richard. I live in Hawaii and I'm 18.
I got into gymnastics stuff after watching the olympics, I'm super tall for it though, 6-4.
I just ordered some rings! ![]()
Started by sasquatch, November 25, 2008 · 10 Replies · 3,845 Views
Hi, my name is Richard. I live in Hawaii and I'm 18.
I got into gymnastics stuff after watching the olympics, I'm super tall for it though, 6-4.
I just ordered some rings! ![]()
great! welcome to the forum! its nice to see tall people that are unafraid to tackle this stuff!
Welcome,
I'm not quite as tall, 6'1", but it is still challenging working on Coach's progressions. My brother is 6'6" and loves the workouts too. The rings are great, and people on the forum are way helpful in answering questions and stuff. You should make some parallettes too, if you can.
Mark
Thanks for the welcomes ![]()
I'm excited about this site, it has lots of good information.
I'm happy about getting some real rings too, before I was just using sticks tied to strings.
6-1 is still super tall for a gymnast, it even possible for tall people to learn press handstands and planches :?:
I think it's possible. I'm really close to a straight-arm press to handstand with my legs tucked. I don't know how others are doing on their planche progression that are my same body type. Right now I'm on the tuck planche. I hold it for r sets of 15 seconds, working towards a max hold of 60 before I move on. Right now my max hold is about 25-30 seconds. It seems like my progression has speeded up. At first i could only hold it for about 3-5 seconds in the tuck position, and it felt like I was stuck there for a long time. I slowly started being able to hold it for longer, but lately it seem like my max time has really jumped.
Anyway, no matter what level of skill you end up attaining, it's certainly been the most effective and fun way for me to get in shape.
For what it's worth, that youtube dude Jsiah or whatever his name is, he's 6'1 and was doinf planches and planche pushups.
Instead of looking at others to see what isn't possible, why don't you look inward to see what is? ![]()
I can't even do a proper tuck planche yet, it hurts my wrists pretty good.
I had no idea Jsiah was that tall, I figured he would be short.
Sasquatch,
Using parallettes for planche work is less strain on your wrists.
mark
Thanks for the info, do you have any ideas on how to make some?
When I get my rings I can practice them on those too, right?
Sasquatch,
Try this link:
http://journal.crossfit.com/2003/09/really-cool-homemade-parallett.tpl
I made these, and they work great.
mark
mark said:Sasquatch,Try this link:
http://journal.crossfit.com/2003/09/really-cool-homemade-parallett.tpl
I made these, and they work great.
mark
Thanks for the link. Those look pretty easy to make. ![]()