Hi everyone,
I found this website a while ago and found it very useful, and recently decided to join the forum. My question right now is about achieving a pull-up.
I joined a dragon boat club (dragon boat is a paddling sport, sort of like outrigger canoe but with 25 people) and we recently started winter training to build up basic strength. Our club is small, and we don't have gym passes for our school gym, so we decided to rely only on bodyweight exercises.
The problem is, dragon boat puts a lot of emphasis on using the back muscles, and I know pull-ups is a really good exercise for working this area - but a lot of people in our club can't do one pull-up.
Do any of you have suggestions for a pull-up progression, or a different exercise that will work the back? The only equipment we have are pull-up bars and bleachers (we work out in the indoor track building). What we've been doing is holding the pull-up at the top position for about 5 seconds and then lowering down as slowly as possible, with a spotter.
Thanks in advance!
jlin
