converting from bodybuilding

Started by FOM, October 17, 2012 · 11 Replies · 3,627 Views

FOM

Well for the past 3 years I have been stuffing my head with bodybuilding information and I just cant make the disconnect :

I am 235 lbs 6ft 2 and I am finding it hard to make a routine and I have tried to read the sticky for a couple days now and I just cant understand it. The 3 years of trying to get into body building to try and get better health has left a pretty sour note on me.

When I started getting into body building I quickly lost 20 lbs and it was great! Until the placebo effect wore off and I started to feel old and worse off than when I started , did I mention I am just 19 yrs old.

Imagine this I am already overweight by about 100 lbs and with this comes daily aches and pain and you think this bad enough :roll: try waking up after deadlift /squat day at the gym and I was tormented for the days to come. I know some people live for this feeling of being totally ripped to threads but I do not!

So I stagnated and was pissed off mentally and physically and ended up with a handsome 235 lbs.

My past goal was to be this 200+ lb behemoth but now I rather to be lean and tough as nails rather than the latter.

Nutrition wise I made great progress with the paleo soloution and Lean gains ( IF).

By cutting out the processed foods mostly canned stuff ( sodium bombs) I quickly cut 12 lbs of water weight but

now I need to get rid of the stubborn fat and research seems to point to kettle bells as the best thing because it

it doesn't need a lot of room or huge investment like a gym membership or weight room.

So my plan is to burn of the fat until II lose enough weight to start the BW excercises to start preparing my body for whats in the book.

questions that I have are what are the basics I must follow like the fundamentals of creating a routine ?

For instance in the usual BB routine you have push/pull , tempo , sets , reps , intensity, positives , negeatives etc...

What are the equivalent to these in gymnastics?

Strength level is pretty poor 2 full for pull ups and 3 push ups but I can still bench 290 for 3 reps and a squat 1.5x body weight but I guess that does not caryy over.

Thanks :D:D

StevenF

Weightlifting is a good method of loosing weight because you burn a lot of calories during those big heavy compound lifts, but you'll only see proper results if you get your diet it check. If I were in your position i'd get my diet on order; eat clean foods, no junk food and cut out foods with high fat content. I'd then hit the cardio hard, running, rowing whatever you enjoy until I got down to my target weight, then I would start my gymnastic training. Good luck!

Joshua Naterman

If I were you, I would start out with the pre-requisites in the Pre-requisites? thread in "getting started."

I would maintain your bench but not try to make gains, and I would continue your squat training (especially if your form is good).

The pre-reqs will be more work than they seem, and are a good way to prepare your body for moving itself around.

That will have you ready for the new edition of the book, which will be out by the end of this year according to the information circulating around right now.

THose pre-reqs are:

60s hollow hold

60s arch hold

60s hollow protracted plank

60s straight arm dead hang (straight body preferably)

And... I can't remember the others. That's what the thread I refer to above is for! It is one of the stickies, I believe.

Stefan Hinote

How long have you been paleo, and practicing IF?

Do you currently do any other exercising besides lifting? If I were in your position, and wanted to loose weight, I would start walking / hiking / light jogging / biking. I would aim for stuff that isn't high intensity, and perhaps be more dependent on protein and fat than carbs.

Rik de Kort
Joshua Naterman said:
If I were you, I would start out with the pre-requisites in the Pre-requisites? thread in "getting started."

I would maintain your bench but not try to make gains, and I would continue your squat training (especially if your form is good).

The pre-reqs will be more work than they seem, and are a good way to prepare your body for moving itself around.

That will have you ready for the new edition of the book, which will be out by the end of this year according to the information circulating around right now.

THose pre-reqs are:

60s hollow hold

60s arch hold

60s hollow protracted plank

60s straight arm dead hang (straight body preferably)

And... I can't remember the others..

Reverse plank and PB support hold. Just couple the movement planes. Support/deadhang, plank/rev plank and arch/hollow. :P

Joshua Naterman
stefanhinote said:
How long have you been paleo, and practicing IF?

Do you currently do any other exercising besides lifting? If I were in your position, and wanted to loose weight, I would start walking / hiking / light jogging / biking. I would aim for stuff that isn't high intensity, and perhaps be more dependent on protein and fat than carbs.

:facepalm: (for the macronutrient suggestion)

You do want to take in your physiological maximum for protein, that is very true. However, you want to get plenty of carbs after you exercise. The rest of the time you are going to want to keep them fairly low but not absent.

You will also be best served by running a SMALL deficit, not more than 400 kcal per day. This will allow you to drop a substantial amount of fat while maintaining your lean mass.

Make SURE you are always replacing what you burn from exercise, especially the carbs! The fat you don't need to replace.

Stefan Hinote
Joshua Naterman said:
stefanhinote said:
How long have you been paleo, and practicing IF?

Do you currently do any other exercising besides lifting? If I were in your position, and wanted to loose weight, I would start walking / hiking / light jogging / biking. I would aim for stuff that isn't high intensity, and perhaps be more dependent on protein and fat than carbs.

:facepalm: (for the macronutrient suggestion)

You do want to take in your physiological maximum for protein, that is very true. However, you want to get plenty of carbs after you exercise. The rest of the time you are going to want to keep them fairly low but not absent.

You will also be best served by running a SMALL deficit, not more than 400 kcal per day. This will allow you to drop a substantial amount of fat while maintaining your lean mass.

Make SURE you are always replacing what you burn from exercise, especially the carbs! The fat you don't need to replace.

I never said get rid of carbs, or even low-carb. I merely suggested perhaps being a little more reliant on fat or protein. It's pretty typical for one's diet to be 70%+ carbs, and I don't see why that percentage can't be lowered, and one become a little more fat-adapted? Yes I know fat can't be used to fuel everything, and glucose is needed for glycogen, brain, HIIT, etc (not dwelving into ketone bodies or gluconeogenesis, I never said low carb), but I've seen people change their diets geared more towards fat, and ended up with substantial weight loss. Of course this would really only work if the OP did exercises that weren't high intensity, so not solely gymnastics.

I also figured if I was in the OP's shoes that I would likely strive to lose the weight first, and then dwelve into the gymnastics.

Joshua Naterman

First off, I apologize for assuming you meant low/no carb. I hope you understand that when people read something like the post I referred to they will be prone to interpreting it as low carb, just because it is such a popular thing to do right now. Vague statements like "rely less on carbs" typically hot words for something low carb, which is where my reaction came from.

70% would be too high unless they were a marathoner, and even then... might be too much.

I think that getting into the details of macronutrient manipulation might be a bit much for OP, but you are right: The key is to have a diet with a reasonable amount of fat and protein in it.

FOM
StevenF said:
Weightlifting is a good method of loosing weight because you burn a lot of calories during those big heavy compound lifts, but you'll only see proper results if you get your diet it check. If I were in your position i'd get my diet on order; eat clean foods, no junk food and cut out foods with high fat content. I'd then hit the cardio hard, running, rowing whatever you enjoy until I got down to my target weight, then I would start my gymnastic training. Good luck!

I would rather avoid general weight lifting except the deadlifts I love those but the problem is for the DL I need a good amount of weight which means either buying a weight set or gym membership and the fact is I am a college stufent and even on a scholarship its still expensive so that doesn't leave room for much at all. About the cardio I dont like running but sled pulls would suit me just perfect I think.

thanks for the advice

Joshua Naterman said:
If I were you, I would start out with the pre-requisites in the Pre-requisites? thread in "getting started."

I would maintain your bench but not try to make gains, and I would continue your squat training (especially if your form is good).

The pre-reqs will be more work than they seem, and are a good way to prepare your body for moving itself around.

That will have you ready for the new edition of the book, which will be out by the end of this year according to the information circulating around right now.

THose pre-reqs are:

60s hollow hold

60s arch hold

60s hollow protracted plank

60s straight arm dead hang (straight body preferably)

And... I can't remember the others. That's what the thread I refer to above is for! It is one of the stickies, I believe.

I already looked at that thread but I am having a hard time figuring what the excercises are and the rep/set scheme like maybe 3 x 5 hollow holds held for 10s? this is my biggest issue.

stefanhinote said:
How long have you been paleo, and practicing IF?

Do you currently do any other exercising besides lifting? If I were in your position, and wanted to loose weight, I would start walking / hiking / light jogging / biking. I would aim for stuff that isn't high intensity, and perhaps be more dependent on protein and fat than carbs.

Been practicing IF for about 3 weeks now and the PS for about 1 week and I did replace carbs with more fats and protein to make my body rely more on fats as my an energy source , I Felt very weird for about 3 days but my energy levels are improving on top of what it was before.

Keep in mind I do have and Epic carb day once a week which satisfies the carb requirements and the Refeed day for IF.

WoW is all I can say to describe the Paleo Soloution.

stefanhinote said:
Joshua Naterman said:
stefanhinote said:
How long have you been paleo, and practicing IF?

Do you currently do any other exercising besides lifting? If I were in your position, and wanted to loose weight, I would start walking / hiking / light jogging / biking. I would aim for stuff that isn't high intensity, and perhaps be more dependent on protein and fat than carbs.

:facepalm: (for the macronutrient suggestion)

You do want to take in your physiological maximum for protein, that is very true. However, you want to get plenty of carbs after you exercise. The rest of the time you are going to want to keep them fairly low but not absent.

You will also be best served by running a SMALL deficit, not more than 400 kcal per day. This will allow you to drop a substantial amount of fat while maintaining your lean mass.

Make SURE you are always replacing what you burn from exercise, especially the carbs! The fat you don't need to replace.

I never said get rid of carbs, or even low-carb. I merely suggested perhaps being a little more reliant on fat or protein. It's pretty typical for one's diet to be 70%+ carbs, and I don't see why that percentage can't be lowered, and one become a little more fat-adapted? Yes I know fat can't be used to fuel everything, and glucose is needed for glycogen, brain, HIIT, etc (not dwelving into ketone bodies or gluconeogenesis, I never said low carb), but I've seen people change their diets geared more towards fat, and ended up with substantial weight loss. Of course this would really only work if the OP did exercises that weren't high intensity, so not solely gymnastics.

I also figured if I was in the OP's shoes that I would likely strive to lose the weight first, and then dwelve into the gymnastics.

Sort of the plan but I want to try atleast some of the moves during the process.

Joshua Naterman said:
First off, I apologize for assuming you meant low/no carb. I hope you understand that when people read something like the post I referred to they will be prone to interpreting it as low carb, just because it is such a popular thing to do right now. Vague statements like "rely less on carbs" typically hot words for something low carb, which is where my reaction came from.

70% would be too high unless they were a marathoner, and even then... might be too much.

I think that getting into the details of macronutrient manipulation might be a bit much for OP, but you are right: The key is to have a diet with a reasonable amount of fat and protein in it.

My current carb intake is approximately 37% form the intial 82% odd ( Im Nerd like that). I do micro manage my Macros but I do not keep the calories and carb intake in check. I replace a lot of processed foods and adopted to start using "no salt" seasoning and add salt myself. what I am waiting for is when the cravings will start to kick in and my will tested I have faced this enemy before but Im sure it would win this time :twisted:

Stefan Hinote

Well to me it sounds like your on the right track. :D

As far as gymnastics I don't have much to offer. From reading the boards a lot of people either use kilroy as a template, or build up the basics then follow the WODs (workout of the day). If you follow the WOD you'll likely have to scale down some of the moves with lower progressions. Buying the book will be very useful, and as Joshua said the new one is coming out, so hopefully you can wait a little longer for that.

FSPs = fundamental static positions. These often done for one minute total per position.

IE: record max hold time for hollow hold. Say you did 20 seconds. 20 / 2 = 10seconds 60seconds / 10seconds = 6

6 x 10seconds for hollow hold.

FBEs = fundamental body exercises. typically done 3-5 x 5 then move up to next progression.

Here's my routine at the moment: http://beta.stefanhinote.com/r2/

(I'm not saying this is perfect as I've just recently started doing gymnastics from traditional weight-lifting, but hopefully it provides a little more insight on the matter.)

Karri Kytömaa

You just pretty much have to google for all the prereqs. I'm pretty sure you can find them all on youtube but not necessarily guidance to the proper form.

You most likely should use steady state cycle (SSC) for those prereqs. You first time your max for each hold, then your work sets are 50% of that. With pre-reqs I suggest something like 4-6 sets as you'll eventually want 3x1min hold in each.

You may also want to start you biceps tendon conditioning, go with this:

Edward Fraser

This is a really good resource for the pre-reqs from Kit Laughlin. I don't remember seeing it come up here before which is surprising! I only found out about it because of allthingsgym, that's why I posted to the link there.

http://www.allthingsgym.com/2012/09/wri ... nds-guide/