Weather Question for Training/Running

Started by ryantherobot, November 23, 2008 · 6 Replies · 3,789 Views

ryantherobot

I know this isn't a running forum but couldn't find the answer on Google and I'm not a member of a running forum so...

I'm from a Subtropical climate and now I live in a Tropical climate. 70degrees F is cool to me and any lower is chilly. Is there any way I can prepare my body for colder weather, specifically the running that I do but also the pull-ups and sit-ups.

Right now I live on a tropical island but I'd like to join the Marines and am worried that the cold will be a big problem for me. Any advice or tips would be great. I do my sit-ups (and basic strength exercises) inside but running, pull-ups, and some plyometric jumping outside.

Blairbob

As cold as showers as possible. Morning ice cold bucket water over the head outside. Spend time in a freezer.

More than likely, you'll have to learn how to adapt. Pendleton could get what you consider chilly especially many areas you could get deployed or sent to for training. We were talking about this earlier tonight the possibility of being sent to extreme climates as part of military duty.

griffdrc

you could try spending a few weeks/months in a cold climate before boot camp...

Coach Sommer

This is not something that I would be overly concerned about. It may be a while until you are comfortable in the colder weather, but you will in all probability be able to function during basic just fine. The human physiology is wonderfully adaptable. I went from Arizona and 115+F to Utah and -10F with no issues; except for the frozen ears (that part I never got used to).

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

StevenL

frozen ears, frozen fingers, frozen toes, frozen nose. i sure love ohio!

ryantherobot

this is good news. I only take cold showers because I don't have hot water, a lot of times I don't have any water and take a shower by way of bucket. So very glad to hear it shouldn't be too hard to adapt, I was a bit worried.

Gregor

When I'm runing in a cold weather, I just put something warm (glowes, cap, sweater or two :oops: ...).