Question about relative strength.

Started by qball, November 20, 2008 · 4 Replies · 3,113 Views

qball

So, I'm relatively new to gymnastics workouts. I don't want to be a gymnast, but I do want to train like one. I understand endurance is training like 13 reps in 3 sets or so. But is relative strength doing as many reps as I can do in one set, with great form? I don't have any access to weights, so for my leg lifts, what should I do? I can do about 5, on a tempo of 3-1-3 until I have to stop, and I can only do about 13 pull-ups, maxing out. Should I continue this, or is there another way to train relative strength?

Blairbob

Gymnastics training is mostly about keeping up the intensity, be it in strength or skills during routines. No need to repeat stuff beyond what's necessary. Find something harder once you have mastered the one before.

qball

Ok, so if I can do 15 pullups next week in just 1 set, the next week I should do 17? And just keep it to 1 set?

George Launchbury

Hi qball,

Not quite. Adding reps and/or decreasing rest times puts the focus more on endurance. In terms of increasing the intensity (training to get stronger) you would need to find a harder exercise, rather than adding more reps to an exercise you can already do quite easily. Harder in terms of the resistance being greater, not in terms of it seeming like more of an effort to perform.

If you're doing dynamic work (i.e. for reps), find something that you can manage a few sets of 2-3 reps with good form, and without failure. This would be with a couple of minutes rest between sets, so you have chance to recover.

Depending on your goals are this might be:

> Wider grip pullups

> One arm pullups

> Front Lever progressions

> Muscle-up

> Etc...

On a basic level - Doing something that requires more endurance improves your endurance. Working on something that needs you to be stronger makes you stronger.

Cheers,

George.

qball

Ok, thank you very much. I will soon purchase the Xtreme rings, and work on those. But until then, I have a pullup bar I can use, and that's about it. So I'll work on wide pullups and planche prgressions. I can also work on dips. Thanks for the response.