Low Back Pain During L-Sit

Started by u3er, September 15, 2012 · 7 Replies · 23,588 Views

u3er

Hi guys, I had trouble finding an answer for this problem so I'm hoping you might be able to help. During L-sits I feel pain/tightness in my lumbar spine. I have good 60 second full hollow and superman holds, and can do bent leg L-sit with no difficulties. My flexibility is moderate such that I can easily get palms to floor once fully warmed up (though perhaps with a rounded back). I only feel this pain during straight leg L-sits. Is my problem related to weak back muscles or flexibility problems? How can it be fixed?

Thanks for your input!

FREDERIC DUPONT

It is likely your psoas pulling on your spine.

Are you able to keep your back flat and pelvis tilted during Lsits?

Mark Plas

I had a similar problem and it was all fixed once my pike flexibility improved. Practicing pike stretches with a flat lower back solved it for me.

u3er

Thanks for the input guys. I just tried one and it seems like I definitely do round my back a bit while doing L-sits. Without the rounding though, I find it impossible to get enough lift to raise my butt off the floor (I must have a long torso or something). So do you think it's necessary to improve my flexibility or should I just train L-sits on parallets? Do you have any tips specifically for training the pike position with a flat back? Thanks again!

Cole Dano

As has been mentioned above, the first place to look, is your pike flexibility.

One movement stretch pair I think is helpful is Coach Sommer's Arch Up progression with a good hanging pike stretch at the bottom of each rep. The Arch Ups themselves are an excellent balancing movement which counters what is done in the L-Sit and for many is very helpful for back pain in general.

I use a what is called a Pelvic Swing in yoga, an ersatz model can be made with a strap and a blanket hung over a door. The advantage of the pelvic swing is at the bottom when you can get more of a stretch.

Here is a video I made a while back up the set-up-

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4979&p=42168&hilit=arch+up#p42168

One thing I don't agree with, though I thought differently in the past. There is nothing wrong with rounding the back in an L-Sit, it's not the same as a pike stretch. In fact at least in my experience I've seen trying to keep to much of an arch in these kind of active movements create lower back problems.

u3er

Hi Cole, that door mount strap is an awesome idea and I can't wait to try it out! I'm a little bit confused by your last comment though:

One thing I don't agree with, though I thought differently in the past. There is nothing wrong with rounding the back in an L-Sit, it's not the same as a pike stretch.

If a rounded back is okay during L-sit, then is my problem not actually related to pike flexibility?

Cole Dano

Yes and no on that. Just because the lower back is rounded doesn't mean the additional tension from tight hamstrings can't overload the lumbar.

Additionally there are degrees of rounding. The movement to L-sit is a flexion movement, which IMO generally means there will be a spinal flexion pattern. However we would ideally like the legs have to be capable of flexing to around hip level for this pattern to be fully functional.

Otherwise any addition flexion to get to the proper level will have to be taken up by the spine.

u3er

Thanks for clarifying, Cole - that explanation makes a lot of sense. Are there some tips for specifically improving the flat back position? My flexibility has improved significantly over the last few years (from down right horrible to now decent) but I'm always looking to improve it.