Been so confused about Programing

Started by Vega, August 31, 2012 · 2 Replies · 2,170 Views

Vega

New to Gb and can use some help.

Been trying to set up a program based on the book but am confused on how. A few questions but a little about me may help...

Been tumbling for 5 years before I found btgb

Bboying, martial arts, and have been using ring for 3 years basically just various push ups.

1. There are fbe's and fsp's. Do I do both everyday? How do I combine the 2 into a workout

2. I can not follow WOD's because I can not do 90% of the skills needed ie. MU, XRHS etc

3. This is what I've been doing for the past month

Ring push ups

Assisted ring dips

Assisted negative muscle ups

L sit, fl/bl/, hand stand

Practicing my circles on ege trainer I built.

Please don't say the obvious and tell me to read the stickies I wouldn't be wasting your time if I didn't already do so and fully understood the way these programs work. I'm sure theres people out there who can benefit from reading constructive help on this topic. BlairBob gives great advice so maybe you can chime in and give me solid words

Cole Dano

The to combine the FSP and FBE is do the FSP first.

To lay it out very simply pick 4 to work on, following the progression in the book from step one. Divide them so you do two one day the other two the next.

There are some 'pre-steps' not in the book and with the upcoming second edition these will be addressed along with the programing. I'm can't get into specifics though.

I can say - Hollow Body Hold (FL series) / Plank (Planche series) / Arch Body Hold - all built up to 3x60s are important pre req's

The FBEs also are to be worked through progressively and can be roughly thought of as Push progressions and Pull progressions

Push - Push Ups > Dips > HSPUs

Pulls - Rows > Pull Ups > Curls

Legs - see the book

So you essentially want to do all of the Push Up Variants in the book (up to PPP) then move to dips. If you don't have access to PBs or equivalent, then doing assisted XR is acceptable, but better if you have a way to do dips on a stable surface.

The same for the pulls.

Essentially you should be able to do 5 sets of 5 reps well before moving on to the next step. You can use previous steps for warm up. And you can experiment with upcoming steps, but keep the focus on the step you are working on.

Ideally you will do four workouts a week e.g.

M - upper body / Tu - lower body / Th - upper body / Fri - lower body

I you do an odd number of workout (3 or 5 a week) favor the upper body. So if you did three a week it would be two upper body workouts and one lower body.

Vega

Cole this really clears things up for me : )