Lindahl said:There's NO WAY that you're depleting your glycogen stores unless you're running a marathon. One study measured the effect of intense lifting on glycogen stores. The subjects performed 20 sets of squats to failure. That's 20 sets of one of the most demanding exercises TO FAILURE. And then measured muscle glycogen. They found that it was only depleted by 25%. That is 75% of the muscle glycogen stores were still intact.There's no need to eat during your workout session. If you're fatigued just take longer rest times.
This is true, but the rate of release of glycogen does slow down as stores get depleted and consuming sugar does help keep energy levels up. I have seen this in every single client I have ever trained, without fail.
I believe that part of what is going on is that liver glycogen is being spared to some extent and that glucose from the ingested sugar is supplanting the glucose being released from the liver, but this is a little fuzzy.
The extra water that comes with this may play some role, but I notice a massive difference between drinking water alone and drinking water + eating jelly beans or having a small amount of protein + reasonable amount of glucose in the same amount of water.