Hey everyone, new to the forum and gymnastic training in general. Just looking for some feedback on a program I am designing for both strength and body building.
Gymnastic Static Progression Positions
Planche
Front Lever
Back Lever
Handstand Work
L – sit
Dead Hangs with chin-up grip
Body Building Exercises
Pull-ups
Chin-ups
Dips
Inverted Rows
Handstand Push-ups when able
Workout Schedule
I intend to train in boxing twice a week on Tuesday and Thursday
The static positions will be done on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday. Apart from the handstand work which I will do every day except Saturday and Sunday.
I am thinking of just doing the body building exercises on Monday and Friday so as to aid with recovery.
Sets and Reps
For the static positions I am planning to follow the BtGB book through the progressions, working on the principle of 60 seconds total time for each exercise with 10 sets of 6 seconds.
For the body building exercises I am open to suggestions. As it stands I am planning on following a 5 week routine which will look as follows:
Week 1 – Monday = 2 sets 6 reps and Friday = 2 sets 6 reps
Week 2 – Monday = 2 sets 7 reps and Friday = 2 sets 7 reps
Week 3 – Monday = 2 sets 8 reps and Friday = 2 sets 8 reps
Week 4 – Monday = 2 sets 9 reps and Friday = 2 sets 9 reps
Week 5 – Monday = 2 sets 10 reps and Friday = 2 sets 10 reps
If week 5 is completed successfully I will increase the starting weight and restart the cycle. If this proves to be too taxing I am considering having the Monday workout as my heavy workout and Friday as my light workout. I'll be starting with bodyweight and then gradually adding weight with the help of a belt so my light day would eventually be 10%, maybe 20% less weight. (Inspired by All Pro on http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=147447933)
Questions
A) My main concern is recovery. I'm worried that because I'm doing a bit of everything I'm not going to see much of a gain in any of the areas and just burn out. I will avoid training to failure in order to help manage this.
B) With the static positions If I fail to make the full 6 seconds of my sets do I simply carry on but with shorter sets until I get to the full 60 seconds?
C) The cycle for static positions will be 8 to 12 weeks as discussed in BtGB. In the book it says that at the end of a cycle, when completing a new maximum test, if for example the maximum was 15 seconds the new training scheme will be 8 sets of 8 seconds in the new cycle. When capable of performing a static hold for longer than 15 seconds you should proceed the the next variation. Is this a general guide or is this a set rule where by the sets should be reduced by roughly 55% of the maximum? I think I may just be over thinking what is written in the book, can any one offer any clarification?