Beginner's routine - Customized Killroy70's workout

Started by Martin Majer, August 11, 2012 · 4 Replies · 5,845 Views

Martin Majer

Hi,

I want to supplement my judo training with some Gymnastic Strength Training™. My plan is to do something like 3-day Killroy70's program and on "off" days do judo and/or hillsprints. I am 18 old, weigh 80kg and I am 190cm tall (6.2ft), so it won't be easy.

My goals are:

- achieve Back Lever, Front Lever, freestanding Handstand, and eventually V-Sit and Planche

- get proficient at XR Dips and Pull-Ups

- achieve Muscle-Up

Now I can do about 50+ Pushups, 15 PB Dips, 15 Pull-Ups, 30s L-sit and all prereqs except hollow hold for 60s.

My workout should be something like this:

WARM-UP:

1) few minutes of jumping rope

2) Wrist Pushups (from knees) and Elbow/Wrist Prehab Routine

3) Floreio Workout Number 1 - Beginner (Scaled down on the bridge work)

4)

60s Plank

60s Reverse Plank

60s Hollow Hold

60s Arch Hold

60s PB Support (later will be replaced by XR Support)

60s Chin-Up Grip Dead Hand

(60s L-Sit - add when it start compromising other work)

(60s German Hang - will be added as soon as I am able to do tucked BL)

(60s Planche Leans - will be added as soon as I am able to do tucked PL)

(60s Inverted Hang)

1. Are the exercises in parentheses needed at all (in warm-up)?

WORKOUT:

1) Planche (start with Planche Leans)

2) Back Lever (start with German Hang)

3) Front Lever

4) Handstand

5) L-Sit (later move to warmup)

This will be done everyday for 5-10 sets.

2. Circuit style or all planche work, then all BL, etc.?

Day 1 - Horizontal plane pushing and pulling FBE (start with pushups and rows) + Legs (Pistols, Lunges, Calf Raises, etc.)

Day 2 - Curling (inverted pullup) and dipping variations FBE (start with inverted hang and XR support) + Legs

Day 3 - Pullup and HeSPU variation FBE + Legs

I will keep the reps low and work up to harder variations.

STRETCH

I'd like to achieve straddle and splits, so I guess I have to do exercises like pancakes, seated straddle, kneeling pike, butterfly and pikes (+ other basic stretches)

3. Don't you know some stretching routine?

4. Is this routine ok or am I missing something important? Or do you have some ideas, how to tweak it?

I will be glad, if you are able to answer my questions in red color. :wink:

Thank you

Blairbob

I would do the L-sit right after the Warmup. 3x20s. Maybe 10s of rest in between.

Then I would do HS work, but you probably could do work this after PL and the lever work. No biggie.

If you have the time, you could do each FSP one at a time. You can be efficient and still have pretty optimal results doing all 3 back to back with short rests in between. This will all depend on how much time you want to spend doing it.

10 sets is a lot. 5 almost seems not enough. It kind of depends on holds times and you'll figure this out.

If you do let's say 7 sets. And each is for 10 seconds that is 70s of work. Now you have to add how much time to get into the position, 1-2s and out of, 1s. Then give yourself 30-45s of rest for each one. 10+3+30=43x9=387/60= About 6 and a half minutes per FSP. Sure, you probably won't hold the HS that long if it's free. But 3x6.5= nearly 20 and probably another 5 minutes of HS. We're at 25 minutes.

If you do it HS then FL/BL, then PL, then FL/BL. Figure about 10s in between each one. 5+10x3+10x3= 65 seconds per round. Figure 30-60s in between rounds. That's 6x60=360s. 6m. 6m+7m. You're done in half the time.

As for day 2 of inverted pullups and dipping...I say add in inverted hangs and xr support into your warmup. If you can't do inverted pullup, I guess you could just do inverted hangs for now but really an inverted hang is easy. warmup stuff. XR support isn't but you might be able to bang out or start with a 60x XR prone support/pushup position. I like that you want to do both PL leans and XR support. Kudos.

Here is a beginner's stretching routine. I should probably redo it. I say adapt it to your needs. You might need to start it with 15s or 45s.

http://agt.degreesofclarity.com/stretching/

You could probably alternate seated straddle/pancake and middle split. You could probably omit the kneeling lunge and 1/2 front split/pike as well and just work the front splits instead. And bridging if you wanted.

Martin Majer

Thank you, Blairbob.

Blairbob said:
...

10 sets is a lot. 5 almost seems not enough. It kind of depends on holds times and you'll figure this out.

...

If you do it HS then FL/BL, then PL, then FL/BL.

...

I have never done any gymnastic work, so I was heavily influenced by Killroy's routine. 7-8 sets in circuit style seem much more time efficient. Is there some reason why I should do the FSP in this order? (HS then FL/BL, then PL, then FL/BL) I though that PL is the most physically demanding, so it should be first. And why is there twice as much FL/BL work than PL and HS?

Blairbob

The HS is the least tiring but takes the most skill. If you noticed I just alternated a push and a pull. Really, it doesn't matter and it's personal preference. I would do them in order of priority and difficulty. Don't put the hardest one for you, last.

FL/BL, I just meant FL or BL. One or the other. No need to do them twice.

Martin Majer

Makes sense, thank you once again.