Big training structure question

Started by jimkey, August 10, 2012 · 0 Replies · 4,293 Views

jimkey

Hi to all, I've been a guest on this board reading it for a long time and think theres a great pool of knowledge here. I've never needed to post before but ive got a pretty specific question about my entire training plan and thought where better to get some advice. Im not a gymnast as such, i just admire the strength and try to apply it to my martial arts and parkour training.

Late last year I tore my ACL in training and have only just had the second of two surgeries to fix it. I've got a really long road to recovery ahead of me and even back when it first happened I decided to take this time to build my functional upper body strength.

Ive read Building the Gymnastics body and have worked the progressions for a long time and have had some great improvements on my FSRs. But in a couple of weeks when I can walk normally and return to upper/core training I will literally have all the time in the world to train while my leg heals. So my question is how best to spend the next year of training or how to space out my training weeks.

I want to improve my maximal strength and control of bodyweight in general so im looking to make gains on dynamic and static power as well as endurance, i.e. pretty much all aspects of basic strength. I ideally want to improve my power and want to learn to have much better control over things like handstands as well as basic ring strength etc.

With this in mind I wanted to know if anyone had any recommendations as to how to split my time so as to train as much as I can as efficently without over training. I have all the motivation and time in the world for about a year and want to make the most if it.

I've considered breaking training down into specific body part days but then things like training front levers and all kinds of full body exercises present a problem so my most recent idea was to break my training down like this:

one day of maximal training, high weights or high effort bodyweight variations and then maybe putting FSR's in there as high effort training. Then maybe a day either off or on cardio/leg stuff (as and when my legs heal). Then the day after that doing high rep endurance training of everything plus maybe handstand drills, then a day off then repeat.

This way I'll be doing everything from the waist up all on one day but having a full day off etc. I dunno, thats just one idea, I just want to get some decent advice as to how to spend my time or how you would spend yours given the freedom.

I've been trying to work out how to manage this for a long time so thanks in advance to anyone that can help.

Jim