Hi Guys,
I have been training almost my whole life, be it in soccer, martial arts or rowing. The last I did at a pretty high college level (training up to 10x/week). But starting three weeks ago, I began getting interested in gymnastics training. Partly because I don't really like going to the gym to train with weights, but most of all because I really like bodyweight training even though I am not that good in it at the moment.
So I bought a copy of BtGB and read a lot on this forum. I wanted to start out very slowly, as I know that I have the tendency to overtrain (my mind can keep going even when my body says no, something you learn in rowing). So for the last two weeks I have followed my own program, based on the information I got here. My focus was on the prerequisites, pushups and body rows. It looks like this:
Wrist routine for warm-up
10' rope jumping (five rounds of 90" jumping, 30" rest)
Front Hold 60sec
Reverse Hold 60sec
Hollow Hold 60 sec
Arch Hold 60sec
3x20sec stomach to wall handstand, 30"r
3x30sec dead hang, 30"r
6x10sec Tuck L-sit, 30"r
3x5 pushup, wide, perfect form
3x5 body row, wide, slow
stretching
Now, I am fairly happy about a few things. I think my warmup is pretty good (wrist+rope jumping). After that, the prerequisites are good, working up to do at least 60" at all of them, fairly off for some, already there for others. Am doing L-sits because I don't have a very good place to do the PB support, will look further for these. The prerequisites take me about 13'30'' at the moment, so not even close to the desired 6'. But for this part of my training I feel pretty good. I really want to start slow and proper, so I can continue for a long time without injury or overtraining.
But for the last part, I feel like I am lacking. the 3x5 perfect pushups go pretty well and easy at the moment, so I want to keep doing these for at least one more week and than increase to 4x5 and later 5x5.
The rows are too easy at the moment. I will buy a pullup bar to put in my door today. So I will be able to do something with that one. Don't really know what I will do with it once I have the bar, as I am unable to do a proper pullup at the moment (yeah I know... shame on me..).
So my question comes down to this. I feel that my program at this moment is too light, both in terms of strength increase as in terms of duration. I don't, however, know how to improve on these aspects without stopping with 'taking it lightly', if that makes sense.
I am 24, 1.93m, 75kg and will train 2x/week at the moment at gymnastics where I would like to be able to finish a workout in about 60'.
I hope you guys can help me out!
Gr.
Tom