Intermittent fasting is something that is very recently coming into popularity. But the scientific community is still not sure whether or not it is actually effective. There are some studies that show benefits, and others that show none (or even negatives). In addition to that, sometimes studies are flawed, so you must be careful what you read and what your sources are.
I, personally, have found success with IF. I even did an "experiment" with my body where I did standard dieting for a while and then Leangains-style intermittent fasting. Long story short, IF worked better for me than standard dieting. Now this is just anecdotal evidence, so don't really put too much trust into me
.
I've read quite a few studies on IF on various websites (leangains.com, pubmed, etc.), and I came to my own conclusion that the alleged benefits outweigh the alleged lack-of benefits. I use the term allegedly, because as I stated before, studies can be flawed.
But it worked FOR ME. That's how it is. You have to find what works FOR YOU. IF is most certainly not for everyone. Marathon runners and athletes of that kind of endurance nature probably should not do IF. If they can, then wow. Kind of hard to believe.
I personally recommend Leangains-style intermittent fasting if you are an athlete who is not one who participates/trains in endurance-style events and want a pretty hassle-free way of counting calories/eating.
Have a good one.