Questions regarding routine planning

Started by SorenPA, July 25, 2012 · 1 Replies · 6,663 Views

SorenPA

Hello everyone

I have been reading these forums on and off for the past 2 years, and gathered a lot of information. I really appreciate these forums for that.

Despite a 4 year interest in improving my physique I still seem to have a lot to learn in order to structure an effective routine. I write this post to get some insights and perspectives on the matter.

The routine I have followed pretty much all of 2012 is as follows (Killroy inspired):

Static holds (FSP) = PL, FL, BL

The static holds are held in sets of 50% of max, for as many sets as it takes to reach 60 seconds of total work. Just as instructed in the BtGB book.

Monday:

  • Static holds
    Pushup variations
    FL – Row variations

Tuesday:

  • Static holds
    Dip variations
    Curl variations

Thursday:

  • Static holds
    HSPU variations
    Pullup variations

Friday:

  • Static holds
    Muscle-ups
    Squats or HS-presses

I have come to think that the main problem with my current way of training is that it primarily focus on maximal strength of the muscle that I have already (efficiency). Less or no emphasis is placed on building more muscle tissue that is required to progress further (capacity).

All variations have been the hardest I am able to perform for at least 3x3. I have then worked to increase the number of reps each session until I could do 5x5 for the specific variation. Or to be honest this has been the plan. My body just does not agree to that plan. So in reality I have been doing the same FBE’s for 5x5 for at least 3 months now. Despite that I feel that I have worked pretty hard every work out! This leads me to believe that working out the hardest doable FBE for as many reps as possible every workout is not the way to go. I begin to think that the volume/intensity should be varied between training sessions.

Example: Let us take weighted dips. On Monday you do your 6RM for 3x5 (sets/reps). Given that it is a true 6RM this should in my book be a pretty tough workout. The next pushing session on the following Tuesday should then be a light workout primarily focused on recovery. Taking dips as an example again for instance 40% of your 6RM for 8x3. The following Thursday you work at 60% of your 6RM and Friday 80%. After the weekend you are ready the next Monday to try to push for 4x5 of your 6RM.

Note: above is purely a theoretical example. I know it is not easy to micromanage intensity that way with bodyweight exercises.

Q1: Does anyone have the same observation regarding working at max effort seems unproductive? What is your approach/ideas/theory regarding volume/intensity variation between training sessions? How would you go about varying intensity for gymnastic exercises?

During my relatively short training career, I have tried different training routines. One thing I have observed is that each time I switch to a new routine I experience an increase in strength for about 6 weeks. After this period progression seem to stall rather quickly. This leads me to believe that the routine should be changed every 6-8 weeks (Funnily enough very similar to the SSC principle from BtGB).

I am thinking of switching the routine I have presented in this post up with another routine, that support progression in the gymnastic exercises. This could be weighted version of simple bodyweight movements, such as dips and pullups or it could be power lifts such as Squat, deadlift and benchpress. The FSPs would still be there but with less emphasis, perhaps some light volume holds twice per week.

Q2: What are your opinions/experiences/insights on the above idea of cycling between routines on a 6-8 week basis?

Blairbob

Cycling a routine is a good idea.

Are you dismayed by the lack of hypertrophy or strength you have developed as of late? Your program is a bit light on volume all in all. Basically's it's FSP's+1 FBE in pushing and pulling.

To go along with the lack of size and hypertrophy, have you properly eating for size? I know when I was a young'n I worked my butt off in the gym but didn't really get bigger. I had a lofty goal of hitting 190 from 150ish but didn't know I had to eat 2 times what I ate back then to even get nominally bigger. So I worked out hard, I ate more than my other friends but not really as much as I would have needed to GET BIG.

5x5's are tough. Period.