Scapula discomfort

Started by Dimitrije Beric, July 21, 2012 · 4 Replies · 2,369 Views

Dimitrije Beric

I started GB program about 2 months ago using the BtGB, then later after researching forum i started doing wods(been doing wods for 2 weeks now).

I started feeling pain in my right scapula about 2-3 weeks ago, and been doing only scapula push ups in warm up, because i don't have elastic bands to do other exercises from Ido's routine(ill get them soon though), the pain was gone temporarily but it came back couple of days ago, so my question is should i step off the training for a while until the pain goes away or should i continue my training and get elastic bands for prehab/rehab?

Also, I started doing wods from the first posted, should i continue or should i start doing the ones being posted now? I figured the amount of work is increasing over time if i compared the last wods with the beginning ones, so I guess they are scaled properly, but there was a topic on that question and someone gave an answer that new guys should just start doing the latest wods and scale in such a way, so i just wanted to ask you about it.

And I also have a question about active flexibility work. Will Il not need any additional work then the exercises in wods(l sit, straddle l...) ? And should i engage in any flexibility program like Stretching scientifically or Relax Into Stretching?

Sorry if these questions were answered in some of the topics, if you can post me link to these, and thanks for your time

Daniel Burnham
dimitrije07 said:
I started GB program about 2 months ago using the BtGB, then later after researching forum i started doing wods(been doing wods for 2 weeks now).

I started feeling pain in my right scapula about 2-3 weeks ago, and been doing only scapula push ups in warm up, because i don't have elastic bands to do other exercises from Ido's routine(ill get them soon though), the pain was gone temporarily but it came back couple of days ago, so my question is should i step off the training for a while until the pain goes away or should i continue my training and get elastic bands for prehab/rehab?

Also, I started doing wods from the first posted, should i continue or should i start doing the ones being posted now? I figured the amount of work is increasing over time if i compared the last wods with the beginning ones, so I guess they are scaled properly, but there was a topic on that question and someone gave an answer that new guys should just start doing the latest wods and scale in such a way, so i just wanted to ask you about it.

And I also have a question about active flexibility work. Will Il not need any additional work then the exercises in wods(l sit, straddle l...) ? And should i engage in any flexibility program like Stretching scientifically or Relax Into Stretching?

Sorry if these questions were answered in some of the topics, if you can post me link to these, and thanks for your time

Welcome. If you spend some time reading the forums most of the answers you your questions will become apparent. There is a ton of good info here and most is regurgitated every day on these forums.

For the scapular pain I would continue to do the scapula pushups and maybe some other scapula stabilizing exercises. I do Ido's routine in addition to hanging shrugs and various kettle bell exercises. A search on scapular stabilization will probably give you a plethora of exercises and information. Do not do something that causes too much discomfort. You should continue to do things that do not bother the injury and even some work that addresses it with a lower intensity. The goal is basically to increase blood flow for heal thing and provide some extra strength to those muscles that are probably not strong enough. This means slow motions with higher reps in the 15 range. Others may have more input on this issue.

As for the WODS do whichever you feel like. There is nothing wrong with doing them from the beginning or if you feel like it you can also jump into the current ones. Just make sure you scale each to your abilities.

Extra work depends on your deficiencies. If you feel you are not flexible enough then you should do extra work in that area. I typically do extra prehab work and included in this is flexibility. Generally people on this forum find that they lack flexibility in the shoulders and the upper back. This is especially common for those who sit at a desk all day long. Read through the flexibility and joint preparation section of the forum. This will provide many answers.

Dimitrije Beric

Thanks for the reply :)

Joshua Naterman

You will need specific stretching work. Both of those programs are good, do what you like. You should focus your work on pike, straddle pike, bridge, and opening the shoulders (shoulder flexion). Those last two are sort of related, just like the first two. If you had to pick just one of each, I would do specific shoulder flexion stretching and straddle pike stretches.

The shoulder flexion is critical for bridge work, so developing that first is acceptable but for our purposes here you do want to eventually work on bridge.

Straddle pike is more important than pike because it carries over to pike stretch as well as manna, straddle straight arm handstand press and straddle L work. You can't do any of those without the flexibility.

Dimitrije Beric

Gee, thanks a lot Slizz :D