Pullups, Front Lever and Ring Dips

Started by Ivan Kolak, July 15, 2012 · 5 Replies · 8,224 Views

Ivan Kolak

What helps when trying to retract scapula on pullups? I pull chest to bar (on 2+ inch bar), but the full retraction escapes me. Same thing happens with Front Lever.

How much does it take from experience to develop proper support hold and ROM? I'm currently GTG it with 20 reps a day. I additionally do normal weighted dips with + 20 kg (80 kg BW).

Paradox

Do you mean what kind of other exercises help with retraction? Try Bulgarian rows. They are probably your best bet.

Full retraction on front lever is very hard, from what I have read. But generally, you should try to retract (and depress) as much as possible, even though it probably won't be a complete retraction. If you are really struggling hard on retraction, you might be trying exercises that you're not ready for. Full retraction is definitely possible in a tuck position. Maybe not at first, though.

A proper support hold on the rings? It took me about 4 weeks though I rushed into things. When you say correct ROM, do you mean only on dips? I've always had full ROM on dips because from the start I figured half ROM was a waste of my time so I never trained it that way. But I suspect for most people that is either a matter of inadequate strength or bad flexibility. Just keep trying and don't compare your progress speed to others!

Ivan Kolak

Paradox

Do you mean what kind of other exercises help with retraction? Try Bulgarian rows. They are probably your best bet.

Well I meant everything that could help me. Bulgarian rows are all rhomboids,traps and rear delts?

Full retraction on front lever is very hard, from what I have read. But generally, you should try to retract (and depress) as much as possible, even though it probably won't be a complete retraction. If you are really struggling hard on retraction, you might be trying exercises that you're not ready for. Full retraction is definitely possible in a tuck position. Maybe not at first, though..

Glad to hear that. I can retract about "halfway".

A proper support hold on the rings? It took me about 4 weeks though I rushed into things. When you say correct ROM, do you mean only on dips? I've always had full ROM on dips because from the start I figured half ROM was a waste of my time so I never trained it that way. But I suspect for most people that is either a matter of inadequate strength or bad flexibility. Just keep trying and don't compare your progress speed to others!

Yeah, the ROM in which your thumb touches chest. I go currently pretty deep, but not all the way down.

Paradox

Yea, I'm not so sure about anatomy so I don't know all the major muscles Bulgarian's work. I think someone on the forum once said it takes the lat muscle out of the equation and focuses a ton on traps and rear delts. They have definitely helped my retraction and depression.

I suppose with dips your full ROM will just come with time as long as you are working it consistently with effort. As coach Sommer says, time is the best supplement.

Rik de Kort
Full retraction isn't what you're going for in FL.
Ivan Kolak

Paradox

Yea, I'm not so sure about anatomy so I don't know all the major muscles Bulgarian's work. I think someone on the forum once said it takes the lat muscle out of the equation and focuses a ton on traps and rear delts. They have definitely helped my retraction and depression.

You're right after re-reading rookiejournal.com article on them and Slizzardman's post. Doing them separately from Inverted Rows. More Upper Back work is always welcome.

I suppose with dips your full ROM will just come with time as long as you are working it consistently with effort. As coach Sommer says, time is the best supplement.

I can do full ROM, but the prospect of shoulders going "lol no" scares me. I'll built carefully to it.

Rik de Kort

Full retraction isn't what you're going for in FL.

That just solved my problem. Many thanks Rikkie.