Today is the day I did my first muscle up. I can't explain how giddy and happy I was for the rest of the training session. It is a great feeling of accomplishment. Thought I'd post about what I learned, in hopes that it might eventually help someone that is struggling with muscle ups.
Most important lesson I learned first: What had been holding me back was my false grip. I suspected I had a weak false grip, but I did not think it was THE thing keeping me from getting this MU done.
I was able to do ring dips, ful rom, steady, in hollow position, and I was able to do hollow pullups, full rom, slow and steady. But for the life of me I could not get the transition down. I thought I don't have enough triceps strength. It feels like I should be pulling on the rings like a very deep row, I should practice full rom tuck front lever rows to get stronger in my back, maybe thats what I need. Etc. etc. Granted all those exercises did help build more upper body strength. But after I got the first muscle up done felt like slapping myself in the forehead. I was doing the transition, and it wasn't my back, shoulders or triceps that were hurting, it was my elbows and wrists.
After months of frustration and trying auxiliary work to build more strength, I came across a video while searching for muscle up videos, that gave me a new idea for an exercise to work on. Basically the video was talking about pulling up with a false grip and slowly rocking back and forth until you could bring the hands back into a lower dip position. Keeping things tight and rocking seemed like it would be easier than trying to kip or kick like a madman.
Unfortunately my first attempt to pull myself up and rock back and forth until I was over the transition was not successful. Frustrated, I thought damn I am not even strong enough to do this. And went back to doing negative muscle ups. Lowering from ring dips, to doing a slow, in control, full rom, negative muscle up. I'd been doing this for the last months on and off and built a few very nice slow and controlled negative muscle ups.
As I was doing the negatives I thought hey I'll try rocking back and forth from a negative, maybe that will help. Lowered to a dip, did the slow transition in negative, stopped as soon as my hands were in front of my chest and tried rocking forward and bam, first try, no need for extra momentum, I was back in the lower dip. Did a slow negative again and rocked forward again and bam, two for two.
What I realized right there was that when I was lowering myself and doing a negative muscle up, wrists were really STRONGLY on top of the rings. It was much easier to have this strong, false-grip position when lowering down than pulling up. And as long as I kept this strong wrist position when my arms were in front of my chest, I was able to come back and through the transition without a problem.
After doing a few more negative to rock back up reps, I decided to try the full pullup to dip version but really focused on keeping the same strong false grip as in my negatives. I was able to do one muscle up per set, and on the second one my wrists would slip out of position.
So now it is clear for me. I need to strengthen my false grip. I do not have the technique or strength yet to be able to have a correct false grip on high rings. If I get on a bench, place my wrists in the rings in the false grip and then lower myself so my arms are not fully extended but bent a little, I can do my muscle ups fine. But if the rings are at the height where I would do normal pullups and I try to false grip with fully extended arms, my grip will not be strong and solid enough to do the muscle up yet.
Theres probably a lot of transitional strength building left in there for me to do and a lot of false grip work waiting for me. But at least now I can practice doing MORE muscle ups and build the necessary strength.
Well there it is. Maybe this will help someone struggling as I was. Negative muscle up, to rocking forward back into the dip was what I needed I guess. And it showed me the weakness in my grip.
Please let me know what you think, or if I'm totally missing the bat on this one. Cheers