Schedule Help

Started by Jo-shwa, July 2, 2012 · 4 Replies · 2,000 Views

Jo-shwa

What should my split look like?

I'm use to the normal:

mon,wed,fri= strength train

mon-chest+tri

wed-back+bis

fri-shoulders+legs

tues,thurs=cardio

sat,sun= light stretch and rest

I see lots of day 1- 4. Can someone show me an example of how they have their splits spread out?

Vincent Stoyas

Haha, Rik should be bursting in here and telling you that, "We train movements, not muscles!"

On this site we aren't overly concerned about particular muscles. We are when they are a weak leak, but that's for prehab elements, not our main work.

A typical "split" would be something like

Monday - horizontal pushing and pulling

Tuesday - curling and dipping variations

Thursday - pullup and HeSPU variation

Friday - multiplane pulling variaions + varied pressing work

You can see that in Killroy Template sticked in this section.

Daniel Burnham
Jo-shwa said:
What should my split look like?

I'm use to the normal:

mon,wed,fri= strength train

mon-chest+tri

wed-back+bis

fri-shoulders+legs

tues,thurs=cardio

sat,sun= light stretch and rest

I see lots of day 1- 4. Can someone show me an example of how they have their splits spread out?

I think you should be saying Mon Wed Fri = hypertrophy not strength. Strength is the ability to move heavy objects or yourself when the body is at a disadvantage. This takes a coordinated set of movements requiring a mastery of your neuromuscular system.

A split of muscles does not really build much strength except in those few exercises. Don't get me wrong your muscles are stronger when you train this way but you won't be able to make use of them in an efficient way. You also do not develop mobility and tendon strength (some call this real strength) necessary to do feats of strength.

This is apparent in all strength sports whether it be power lifting, olympic lifting, gymnastics, track and field events, etc... Compound movements are they way to build strength.

So to end my rant and answer your question, most people who do a split around here use antagonist movements in a single day to provide balance. This means push/pull every day. The killroy is a good example. It consists of vertical pushing and pulling in both directions (up and down) and horizontal push/pull movements with an added day of multiplanar work. Read around on the website and don't let my rant put you off. There is some great knowledge around here in pretty much everything exercise.

Rik de Kort
Vincearoo said:
Haha, Rik should be bursting in here and telling you that, "We train movements, not muscles!"

It's in my signature now. So it's everywhere I go, so I don't have to say it all the time. :P

Kevin Oka

I agree to try out the Killroy template, it's working great for me. I read in your other thread you are a bit on the heavier side. I'm 5'11 also and only weigh around 145lb. Although I would be a lot more careful for your joints because of your weight, not to stress them more. I recommend doing the warmup before starting anything here:

60 sec plank

60 sec reverse plank

60 sec pb support hold

60 sec deadhang

60 sec hollow hold

60 sec superman

If you can't do those I wouldn't suggest starting GB workout until you can. Though, start flexibility routines as those will be important later. I can't stress enough that you should maintain a good diet and keep losing weight, it will be your biggest advantage in any athleticism. Just my opinion, I'm new here and it's what I've gathered while lurking, so take this for what it's worth.