Daily WOD or BtGB?

Started by lajoie50, July 2, 2012 · 7 Replies · 4,849 Views

lajoie50

Hello All

I must say I am brand new here. I have recently decided to switch from crossfit to gymnastic bodies because I found I have a far greater affinity for, and derived the most enjoyment from, the gymnastic elements.

I have read and implemented BtGB in my training a few times, mostly to rehab back injuries from overtraining with crossfit. I had great success in doing so and always saw great gains in overall strength and mobility. Don't know why I always switched back to crossfit. Probably due to an inability to fully commit to one training style.

My question is, can one expect to gain proficiency in all the FSP's from following the posted daily WOD alone? I can currently do tuck or advanced tuck Planche and front lever and full back levers. Would it be reasonable to believe that the daily WOD will build the strength required to do full versions of the listed FSP's or will I have to begin with dedicated training of these holds switching to the daily WOD only after reaching my goals?

Finally, how many here follow the Daily WOD as their fundamental training program?

Sorry for the NOOB. Gotta start somewhere :roll:

nf46

The WODs are a more general template aimed at developing all attributes. They are also good fun, so if that is what you want then do them. For FSPs as fast as possible then a specific program will probably be better. Ido Portal did post a Front Lever and Planche geared workout some time ago which is worth a read. The gist of it was to alternate one straight arm with one bent arm workout.

Also for maximum progress in FSP, it has been said that the scapula are extremely important to condition. Heavy protraction work for planche, heavy retraction work for Front Lever have all been suggested. Also strengthening the external rotators has been said to be good for front lever work. Lower traps are also often a limiting factor in GST success. In short, find your weak links and address them while working the static holds in alternating phases of high volume and high intensity.

Hope this helps.

:)

Rik de Kort

Most people here utilize an 'FSP warmup'. It's where you use the protocol delineated in BtGB before the rest of your workout. you can check out the Killroy template (sticky in the Getting Started forum) for more.

Redwan Haque

nf46: Would you happen to remember what the name of the post/ forum it was posted on was? I can't seem to find it :(

Quick Start Test Smith

Yeah, I'm curious too.

Edit:

I found it! viewtopic.php?p=50991#p50991

Redwan Haque

Is that it? I came across that one but it didn't have much of the stuff nf46 mentioned regarding alternating straight arm/ bent arm work and what not so I figured there was something more detailed out there.

Still good general advice though.

Daniel Burnham
red1392 said:
Is that it? I came across that one but it didn't have much of the stuff nf46 mentioned regarding alternating straight arm/ bent arm work and what not so I figured there was something more detailed out there.

Still good general advice though.

alternating straight arm and bent arm isn't the best use of time for a beginner. There really isn't that much taxing straight arm work available for a beginning athlete. When you get to the point of doing things like cross pulls, tick-tocks, more advanced planche work and the like it might be a good idea. But for just the levers it isn't necessary to dedicate a day to them really.

Redwan Haque

Fair enough. Cheers for the advice.