Restart with Killroy or Daily WODs?

Started by Eric Cohen, June 29, 2012 · 4 Replies · 3,380 Views

Eric Cohen

I've been lurking quite a bit for last few years. I took a few months off, and have lost a substantial amount of my capabilities and would like to start getting back into training again. I used to follow the WODs every week and saw a decent increase in capabilities with them. Unfortunately I was also working 90 hour work weeks on a regular basis and forcing myself to workout without adequate rest burned me out completely.

I'd like to start back into things. I know Killroy's program is recommended by many to build a solid base, but I rather like the ease of just scaling down the WODs to my own capabilities. Are there going to be any major contrast with following either program that someone may like to point out?

One other question is what's the general consensus of separating FSPs from the workout like I've seen some people mention? I like the idea of being able to do FSPs first thing in the morning and then finishing with FBE's/WOD towards the latter half of the day. Are they necessary for properly preparing the body immediately before training, or can they be separate without any ill effects?

Cole Dano

If you find the WODs to be easier for you to scale and handle, there is no problem with going back to the WODs. One thing with them is due to the WODs running on a cycle, it's more important to be regular with your workouts, not skipping, and to follow them through at least one, preferably two even three cycles.

Splitting the FSP and FBE workout is absolutely not a problem and many of us are doing it this way.

Eric Cohen
Cole Dano said:
One thing with them is due to the WODs running on a cycle, it's more important to be regular with your workouts, not skipping, and to follow them through at least one, preferably two even three cycles.

By following them through multiple cycles, do you mean not changing the scaling of WODs for multiple cycles? When I previously followed them I would up the progression for both the WODs and FSPs every 8 week cycle.

I was considering following the FSPs for an 8 week cycle with testing at the beginning of a new cycle and trying out a linear progression with the WODs (increasing difficulty gradually every time the same workout came up). Not sure if there will be any detriment to my training if I follow the WODs that way though.

Cole Dano

No, you can scale as you need to, I mean that you should do the 4 workouts each week for the 18 workouts of the cycle.

Eric Cohen

Ah, okay. Yes, I intend to follow them as closely as I'm able.