Hi everybody.
I'm a rock climber returning to training after too much work, and no time! I've been off the rock for about 15 years now. I am basically seeking control over my body weight which is exactly what gymnasts (and the best rock climbers) have.
I have built a "woody" climbing wall in my garage to train finger strength and technique. I really want that phenomenal pulling and pressing strength that John Gill and his followers developed.
Back in the 90s I was training for rock climbing all the time. We used to do "Bachar Ladders" named after Californian rock climber John Bachar. These were overhanging rope ladders, and the idea was to start with hands on different rungs about 2 feet apart and go to a locked position with your chin over a rung, then statically reach the lower hand through for the next rung and then continue to the top.
The rungs were spaced at about 1 foot intervals to allow progression. I used to be able to do alternate rungs with a completely static lock while reaching for the next one. As far as one arm pullups are concerned, I never made it. I could release a lock, go down to 90 degrees and pull back up. But I never got the full pullup from straight arm.
I lost all this strength when I moved for work, and kind of lost touch with training, bouldering and climbing.
I just bought some rings, and have begun the most basic excercises from reading here and watching youtube videos. I have to say, ring training is powerful medicine. I can do dips on bars, but I do not have the stability to perform a single free dip on rings. I use heels on a bench. Even just knee raises while locked above the rings is difficult, and I'm shaking by the time I get to 10! I do body rows with heels on a bench, flys with knees on the floor (not going very low), and extending my hands straight out in front of me with knees on the floor (to an almost horizontal position) Just 5 attempts.
After that, my whole upper body is throbbing. I never felt anything like it! Why did I not discover this before?
I'm determined to climb better now than I ever did before. I just turned 50, but I'm very fit having turned to road cycling as a way to keep fit while saving time.
My first hard effort back at climbing training:
fryUVnWfMXY
See how weak I am on that initial crossthrough? I have to really throw for the hold and it's a 1/3 success rate with snagging it. And then that right hand lock at 0:27 where I bring my left hand up to match on the hold. I'm sagging under it and barely holding the lock!
Are there any other climbers or boulderers here with advice or routines to increase the climbing-specific strengths?