Programming back/legs/core and embedding

Started by gravy, June 8, 2012 · 5 Replies · 2,191 Views

gravy

After reading BtGB cover to cover, I still have a few questions regarding programming.

The book says to do different a press, pull, core and leg exercise each training day while rotating through the planes of motion. However, it does not go into much detail on programming back oriented FBE, and what to pair them up with. Also, it does not go into much detail on pairing legs and core.

For example, the book suggests to pair different variations of:

day 1 curl+dip

day 2 HSPU+pull-up

day 3 pushup+row

day 4 MPPu+MPPr

So, how should I balance back FBE with everything else? What FBE do I pair with back FBE? Since BL is usually embedded with a pull FBE, should I embed back FBE with something else?

The book also mentions to pair legs with core. How should I vary and pair up legs and core exercises? For example: day 1 squat+v-up; day 2 hamstring+HLL; day 3 pike compressions+obliques; day 4 etc.?

For embedding is this the standard protocol?

planche+press

BL+pull

FL+leg

l-sit+core

???+back

I just want to be extra sure, so that I don't wear down my joints or injure myself.

Rik de Kort

The exercise selection has actually pretty little do with injuring yourself or overusing your joints, unless your routine is very imbalanced (ie. only doing pushing).

I'm not sure what you mean with 'back FBE'. Do you mean exercises where the hands are behind the body? One I can think of is back lever and that's an FSP. Manna is another one, but that's an FSP as well. Then there's dips (which have the shoulder in hyperextension), but that has been covered already.

Or do you mean lower back, core type of stuff (archups)? In that case, I'd go for doing leg push (squats) with back FBE (archups) and leg pull with front FBE (HLL). Then just repeat this.

gravy

I just mentioned that last part because i found that rotating through the planes of motion helps a lot with keeping

the mind fresh and engaged while helping to prevent overuse injuries.

Back FBE: Yes, I was referring to variations of arch ups and other back exercises (bridges/bridge wall walks maybe?).

leg push (squats) with back FBE (archups) and leg pull with front FBE (HLL)

So, it's fine to just do this every training day, or should variations be done? And this goes against what coach said; to pair legs with core.

As for embedding, was what I mentioned correct?

Rik de Kort

I'd go for every training day. My preference differs from that of coach in this regard. I like a simple routine, focussed on a few exercises. That way you'll make good progress on those exercises, which is very motivating. You then do this for 6-8 weeks or so, then switch exercises so you're doing stuff you didn't cover in your previous cycle. So in a way, you're still switching things up, only not as often. It's a matter of personal preference, I guess.

Also, the lower back IS part of your core. Leg pull is still a leg exercise. So it's pairing legs with core both ways. You'd think it would be logical to program it the other way around, but I reasoned that the lower back is getting some work in the leg pull, so you could get better work in on something like HLLs.

I'm not sure what you mean by embedding. You mean embedding an FSP? In that case, back FBE don't get any embedding.

You can always follow the WODs...

gravy

Yes, embedding FSP. I was asking if this is correct:

planche+press

BL+pull

FL+leg

l-sit+core

What is a leg pull? Do you mean v-up? Or reverse leg lift?

I understand how the SSC works. I've been reading about and experimenting with different exercises for over a year. Now I just need to get a few more things straight before I can finalize my program.

I would do WODs, but I lack some of the equipment required, and I want to create a consistent program, then increase the difficulty for the next cycle.

Thanks for your responses.

Rik de Kort

Doesn't really matter where you embed the FSPs, to be honest; it's fairly logical. So that would work.

A leg pull is something like glute-ham raise.