Super Accumulation

Started by Kyle Devlin, June 3, 2012 · 3 Replies · 2,442 Views

Kyle Devlin

Like many of the members here, i read a lot from Coach Poliquin and i have taken a large interest in his article on super accumulation training. I want to know if anyone has actually tried it and their experiences with it.

I was planning on doing something like this but i soo quickly realized that i don't know what would be the most appropriate way of going about that. Is there anyway something like this can be turned into a useful training method for bodyweight strength (gymnastics strength)?

Here is the link:

http://www.charlespoliquin.com/ArticlesMultimedia/Articles/Article/610/Super_Accumulation_Training.aspx

Philip Chubb

I did this and still occasionally do. Just remember that in the Poliquin article, he is using mostly high leverage movements (especially a lot of leg work). You don't see him super accumalating planches and back levers and iron crosses. I am not saying it can be done but it is one of those things that if you have to ask, you may want to wait until you are ready to get all the benefits of it without injury.

Kyle Devlin

Thanks for the reply. I figure that it would almost be highly inappropriate to go at this in hopes of improving movements like planche/back lever/cross/etc. it would probably just end up in massive injury. When it comes to FBEs and FSPs, how well would it work?

I considered an attempt at this with lower body but i am not 100% sure that it would be the best thing, since i want the least amount of hypertrophy as possible.

Philip Chubb

Depends on the FBE and FSP. On things like dips pushups, pull ups, front levers, hspu, if you are ready, it can provide a lot of benefits. On things like planche, IC, back lever, maltese, you are going to need to be VERY ready in terms of joint prep.

The way I used it was a few low leverage moments for a little bit of time, a decent amount of FBEs that were higher leverage, and a LOT of assistance work like bulgarian rows and scapular movements.

For the lower body, I can already feel some hypertrophy when I just think of doing this. If no hypertrophy is your goal, you would definitely have to be careful with your diet and even then, you would probably gain weight on the deload week.