This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

WOD - 120524

Started by Coach Sommer, May 24, 2012 · 2 Replies · 1,174 Views

Coach Sommer

4fT6m1Pv94k

Perform 3 rounds of the following:

5 NLC

10 Overhead Lunges

20m Backward Sled Sprint

4 Side Lever Pulls

Finish the workout with 3x10 Hip Extensions.

notes:

1) This workout should be performed as a modified giant set. To this end perform the NLC (natural leg curl) then rest 60 sec, perform the Overhead Lunges (alternate legs on each rep for a total of 5 reps on each leg) then rest 60 sec, finally perform the Backward Sled Sprint and then rest 5 minutes before beginning the next modified giant set.

2) Add as much weight as possible to all of today’s exercises. Be meticulous in using a full ROM with a moderate tempo.

3) The Overhead Lunges are performed by holding a weight (bar, plate, KB, DB, sandbag etc) with fully extended arms over head and then stepping forward onto the right leg. Go deep enough on the step forward so that the rear left knee gently brushes the ground. Under no circumstances should the rear knee either hit or bounce off of the ground. Return to a stand and repeat on the other side. This would equal two reps.

4) The Overhead Lunges may either be performed traveling forward by bringing the rear leg up or by remaining stationary by bringing the front leg back on each repetition.

5) If you do not have access to a tire or sled for sprints, then possible sled/tire substitutions include: perform the sprints with a weight vest, drag a kettlebell on the ground behind you while sprinting, have a partner pulling backward on you during the sprint with a long strap. The best substitute, and possible even better than the sled sprints, is to run up a very steep hill with a weighted vest.

6) As noted in the essay referenced above, the first set of hip extensions is forward, the second is sideward and the third is circular. If you are able, add ankle weights to today’s Hip Extensions.

maxellon23

I'm wondering coach! Does NLC refer to any natural leg curl or a specific one? Like would a GHR work? Or is there a specific excersise for NLC?

Craig Wilson

After I had started into the first set, I realized I performed GHR instead of NLC, so I decided to stick with that. The first set of GHR was BW; second I added 5 lb; third I added 10 lb but had to go back to BW for the final rep. I used a 95 lb barbell for all three sets of OH lunges. I went up and down the length of my gym for the backward sled sprint whatever the specific distance may have been. First set was the tire alone (no clue as to how much it weighs); second I added 10 lbs; third I added an additional 15 lbs. Side levers were done somewhere between a flat tuck and half lay, and the ascent had a healthy dose of momentum helping it along. I didn't remember how exactly the circular hip extensions went, so I raised my leg to the front and lowered it in a crescent shaped motion.