In regards to gymnastics training I have a lot of strength goals set. I haven't ever really done gymnastic training before so I'm a bit lost. I'm confused on how to construct a routine. Can someone please help me out? I've been very confused. :|
In regards to getting started...
Started by maxellon23, May 23, 2012 · 14 Replies · 3,241 Views
Welcome,
you really need to get the book, everything is in there.
I have it, I just don't understand like the structure or how to build off it. Like in
Regards to pushing and pulling excersise. I just want help like constructin a routine, or like tips
To getting started.
The two most common routines are killroys template (sticked in the ring section) and following the WOD.
Thanks but umm, what about working towards certain strength moves
Such as front levers and back levers and muscle ups and such?z...and which
Of those 2 which one is more effective?
Can you do the 6 pre-requested holds for 60 seconds each MAxelon23 (check it out in the prerequisites thread sticky in getting started.
Have you read all the stickies in the getting started forum?
Can you give us some background about your training, goals, levels of fitness, age, gender, weight, BF%, etc...?
Yeah I have read that thread, I'm workin on being able to do those. I just turned
16 last week Monday. I weigh about 165 pounds, I want to be able to hold
L-sits ,V-sits, perform muscle ups, back lever,front lever, planche,
Straddle. Seems like a lot I know. I just really want some guidance. So I should
Read all the stickys in getting started?
The short answer is yes, you should read them... maybe not all today though ![]()
[edit] Actually, I changed my mind, you should read them all today, and take notes too... there are not many stickies in the getting started, and they are all very, very useful to help you with your confusion, and prevent you from getting hurt!
Usually a workout is structured like this:
Warm Up:
1- Mobility and joint prehab work.
2- FSP SSC
Workout:
3- Either the WOD, or a pair of opposite push/pull exercises that you rotate from one session to the next (you also rotate reps, sets, tempo, rest and intensity)
(Alternatively, check the killroy70 template for a linear progression, as mentioned above.)
4- Handstand work
Cool down:
5- Stretching
6- Rehab and prehab work
Your first order of priority is to be able to do the prerequisites; the best way to get there is via a few steady state cycles. The second thing I would do if I were you is to look at the WODs and understand how you could scale them down to your abilities.
By then, you'll know a lot more about the next steps.
What's fsp ssc? And you said opposite push pull work. How exactly
Would that look? Like structured towards something? Like one set you do push
Excersises then the next pull ? And you always
Do low reps correct? Sorry for all the questions. So I should be able to hold
All the pre-reqs for 60 seconds before training or?...sorry again for all the
Questions, I just feel lost with all the excersises and everything on here. Thanks for the
Help! ![]()
Go read the stickies Maxellon23, the answers to all your questions, and much more are there...
You are going to learn something ![]()
Handstand work after the WOD? I always do it before. Handstands are all about perfect technique, as is any other skill work, so you wouldn't want to be fatigued while doing so. Right?
Vincearoo said:Handstand work after the WOD? I always do it before. Handstands are all about perfect technique, as is any other skill work, so you wouldn't want to be fatigued while doing so. Right?
You are probably correct, I don't follow the WOD and I don't do HS yet. ![]()
HS work definitely comes before the strength work! I'd even put it before the FSPs, but Coach mentioned that was a matter of preference.
As for your questions, read the stickies first, then come back if you have any questions.
First post... been lurking a while. Hi everyone
Sorry to bump an older thread but I'd like to chime in my opinion...
Wouldn't handstand order within the workout be depending on his level of fitness beforehand? For example: if he cannot perform wall-less handstands, with barely enough strength to hold the position, it could be strength straining just to do it, before focusing on form, am I right?
If it is for strength buildup before advanced form practice, he could, in my opinion, place it at the end of his workout to strengthen his shoulders. Once he can hold the position, and is used to being upside down that long, I would agree to move it to the beginning when you're fresh, to work on the form once no longer restricted by strength.
I'd like to know your opinion on this thought. Thanks!
okaxmasato said:First post... been lurking a while. Hi everyoneSorry to bump an older thread but I'd like to chime in my opinion...
Wouldn't handstand order within the workout be depending on his level of fitness beforehand? For example: if he cannot perform wall-less handstands, with barely enough strength to hold the position, it could be strength straining just to do it, before focusing on form, am I right?
If it is for strength buildup before advanced form practice, he could, in my opinion, place it at the end of his workout to strengthen his shoulders. Once he can hold the position, and is used to being upside down that long, I would agree to move it to the beginning when you're fresh, to work on the form once no longer restricted by strength.
I'd like to know your opinion on this thought. Thanks!
I would imagine that the person would have to scale down his HS then. Whether that is walking the hands further out from the wall or doing a box HS.