Things to train for in the beginning

Started by Alex Dienaar, October 18, 2008 · 6 Replies · 4,621 Views

Alex Dienaar

Hey everyone,

I was wondering if you kind people could please give me some tips on the starting part of it all :P

I've been playing around with some random gymnastic training like GTGing 360 pulls, ring dips, plance work, pseudo planche pushups and jumping muscleups. Strength I've gained a little bit, but not really the ability to do anything new xD.

So I'm wondering if I should just limit my training focus at the moment to the basic must-have skills in gymnastics like (from what I could think of : Muscle-up (strict), a solid handstand + presses and L-sit on the floor).

Is that a good idea or should I take it from a different approach ?

Further I was wondering if it would be good, would just training the different skills throughout the entire day (I have alot of spare time on my hands at the moment) be the most efficient way or would I be better off doing a single workout 3-4 times a week ?

Thanks in advance, ALex

Blairbob

Training throughout the day, just playing around with skills is a good idea. Kicking up to a HS, doing some pullups and dips, press HS, or lowering down to pistols or practising a lever. I prefer to be warmed up before I try a MU, but that's just me. Some people need to loosen up their hips and hammies before doing L work, but it depends.

http://gymnasticbodies.com/forum/viewto ... highlight=

http://gymnasticbodies.com/forum/viewto ... highlight=

program design:

http://gymnasticbodies.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1047

Definitely work the basics in there and pick a few skills to work on before strength training. Some basics can be part of a warmup while other stuff is better left to strength programming ( planche/levers ).

Maintain a consistent workout and do what else you can when you have the time. Stuff like false grip pullups, ring dips, skin the cats if you any time or strength left throughout the day.

Kamali Downey

what are "360 pulls"?

anybody have a description or video?

gymrob

http://gymnasticbodies.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=553&highlight=

There you go.

Garre33

haha, I JUST started working on those last night... I think I might have overdone it because my tricep/shoulder muscle on my left arm is uncomfortable today. I'll give it a rest then try it again next week!

Alex Dienaar

Thanks for the tips Blair :D

I haven't really designed a program yet since my complete inability to narrow down my goals,

but I'm focusing on what Coach Sommers said to be the most important exercise for beginners. Presses to handstand.

Been randomly playing around with what you said and well the results are this :

Handstand 5 seconds (nowhere near solid yet)

Press to handstand is just completely failing, can get nowhere near, not even a press to headstand :P (Is there a progression or something for it ?)

Ring dips are going perfectly and easy to full depth, so do bulgarian ring dips, trying the Rings turned out variation now and getting about half way the ROM down and pretty slow negatives.

Pullups are going perfect and am able of advanced tuck lever pullups now :D (also through GTG and just 360 pull work). Still feels like the back lever is quite far tho' weirdly enough :P.

Was able to straighten out my back in the tuck plance today (advance tuck planche now I guess :D) I think this is mostly because of the ring dips and the L-sit training and presses I tried on the rings.

Also been playing around with presses to handstand on the rings (which go alot better) but can only come to the tuck planche before I almost fall.

The L-sits are going great as well, almost got my legs completely stretched :D, now just to work for more flexibility (pike stretches right?)

And I'm trying the muscle ups now and getting my elbow to 90 degrees on my pullup but I'm just not going over xD (probably trying to make the transition too early or something ><) haven't tried kipping them yet.

I love this site <3

Blairbob

More basic than press to headstand? Hmm, try it against a wall or do a negative version, pressing down from a headstand or handstand against the wall.

http://drillsandskills.com/article/16

Yeah, ya gotta wait on the transition in the MU. Sometimes I try to dip too early and well, nothing happens.