Iron cross from the bottom position

Started by Andrew Komarnyckyj, May 15, 2012 · 38 Replies · 9,302 Views

Gregor
mirroredrain said:
Is it possible to go straight from a German hang into an iron cross with a straight arm transition and no momentum? I am working said movement with iron cross trainers and from what work I've done on a regular butterfly cross pull, the German hang version is vastly harder, and more focused on the pecs.

Thoughts? Is it doable?

I think this would be even easier. This would be like doing to low nakayama...Probably wouldn't be recognized as element though...

Gregor
Joshua Naterman said:
Andy K said:
While I agree with the above comments, I still think that the Butterfly - as I now know it's called - is a pretty amazing move!

Oh, it is! Very difficult. I think that quite a few rings specialists can do them, they just aren't scored very highly for how much energy you spend getting into position. Gregor was talking about this somewhere a while ago. There are a lot of things that gymnasts can do that you never see in competition because what matters there are the point values, not actual physical exertion, and there are a lot of moves rated D and butterfly cross is harder than some of the others, so why do it?

Yes it's true. I do in trainig mainly for strength training Balandin 1 and 2 (I found it to be beneficial for press from IC to inverted IC), and some my variations of Victorian but it's not beneficial for routine if it's not clean.

alec_ar

Gregor,

I've posted my pathetic attempts at the Victorian, I think we'd all love it if you could post a vid of one and show us how it's really done!

Gregor

Mabe when I'll start training again. Now I'm on a vacations 8)

Joshua Naterman

Welcome back from the abyss, Gregor! Hope to see you around here from time to time!

Philip Chubb
Gregor said:
Joshua Naterman said:
Andy K said:
While I agree with the above comments, I still think that the Butterfly - as I now know it's called - is a pretty amazing move!

Oh, it is! Very difficult. I think that quite a few rings specialists can do them, they just aren't scored very highly for how much energy you spend getting into position. Gregor was talking about this somewhere a while ago. There are a lot of things that gymnasts can do that you never see in competition because what matters there are the point values, not actual physical exertion, and there are a lot of moves rated D and butterfly cross is harder than some of the others, so why do it?

Yes it's true. I do in trainig mainly for strength training Balandin 1 and 2 (I found it to be beneficial for press from IC to inverted IC), and some my variations of Victorian but it's not beneficial for routine if it's not clean.

Ah the Balandin 1 and 2 are two of the ring moves I really hope aren't affected too much by my oly lifting. Those are my top ring goals.

Gregor

Your top ring goals are elements wich even most of elite all arounders are not cable of snd even some ring specialists?

It's good to have high goals, but it will be long way if ever will be achieved.

Gregor
Joshua Naterman said:
Welcome back from the abyss, Gregor! Hope to see you around here from time to time!

I'll try :mrgreen: I have less and less time, school, training, fiancee, flat problems....

I see you changed nickname from slizzardman (probably to your oficial name and surname?).

Philip Chubb
Gregor said:
Your top ring goals are elements wich even most of elite all arounders are not cable of snd even some ring specialists?

It's good to have high goals, but it will be long way if ever will be achieved.

Well then I guess this would be a bad time to tell you that I also want to be able to do a Van Gelder. Don't worry. If it wasn't difficult, there wouldn't be a point in even trying.

Rik de Kort
Alex Chubb said:
Gregor said:
Your top ring goals are elements wich even most of elite all arounders are not cable of snd even some ring specialists?

It's good to have high goals, but it will be long way if ever will be achieved.

Well then I guess this would be a bad time to tell you that I also want to be able to do a Van Gelder. Don't worry. If it wasn't difficult, there wouldn't be a point in even trying.

Aim for the stars, land on the moon. :D

Gregor
Rik de Kort said:
Alex Chubb said:
Gregor said:
Your top ring goals are elements wich even most of elite all arounders are not cable of snd even some ring specialists?

It's good to have high goals, but it will be long way if ever will be achieved.

Well then I guess this would be a bad time to tell you that I also want to be able to do a Van Gelder. Don't worry. If it wasn't difficult, there wouldn't be a point in even trying.

Aim for the stars, land on the moon. :D

But moon is still much much closer then stars. So the moon would be L-seat :mrgreen:

Philip Chubb

In that case, I'm already past the moon. At least on Mercury now. Or that might be the wrong direction. Anyways, I find it funny when a lofty goal is said and everyone says how hard it will be. What a given! It'll just make it better when I get there. Or if it is impossible, still made it further than everyone on the couch. Thanks for the encouragement! :D

Gregor

Ok. I'll have for my next goal CTI :mrgreen:

I'm just realistic...i wouldnt say anything if someones goal is maltese, you must reliaze that one letter higher value it's like doing from b cross to c cross (for this excotix movements), it's much harder...

Philip Chubb

Of course I realize that. But why not try anyway? I appreciate your warning. Especially since you can probably already do them. But it'll be fun to work toward regardless. "The realist might be right, but the optimist has more fun with it." Forgot who said that.