Iron cross from the bottom position

Started by Andrew Komarnyckyj, May 15, 2012 · 38 Replies · 9,302 Views

Andrew Komarnyckyj

I just watched this promotional video which I received from bodyweight culture. It looks pretty amazing to me - not that I know the first thing about ring strength - maybe you guys have a different take on it. But a guy who can get into the iron cross from the bottom position - that looks scary to me.If you follow the link and watch the first minute or two of the uppermost video you'll see what I mean.

http://www.bwculture.net/Articles.asp?ID=300

PS I'm not an affiliate or anything!!!

Coach Sommer

That ring strength element is called a 'Butterfly' and is being performed by my friend and former USA Sr National Team member Wesley Haagensen.

I must admit that I found that promotional video rather dishonest as they are using footage of elite level gymnasts performing advanced gymnastics strength elements, for the purposes of promoting their own non-gymnastics strength related materials; when they themselves are unable to perform the strength elements being advertised and have no idea whatsoever of how those particular strength elements were developed.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Joshua Naterman
Andy K said:
I just watched this promotional video which I received from bodyweight culture. It looks pretty amazing to me - not that I know the first thing about ring strength - maybe you guys have a different take on it. But a guy who can get into the iron cross from the bottom position - that looks scary to me.If you follow the link and watch the first minute or two of the uppermost video you'll see what I mean.

http://www.bwculture.net/Articles.asp?ID=300

PS I'm not an affiliate or anything!!!

HAHAHAHAHA!!! I'm sorry, I'm sorry... It's just... they make up such stupid names for basic skills! Some of the names.. *cough cough* 'planche transfer' *cough* are just ridiculous. It's a bar muscle up, just like the other bar muscle ups shown.

Almost all of that video was shot way, way before Paul Zaichik or however I'm supposed to spell that name knew any of those guys, and he had nothing at all to do with Wes's development. That should really be illegal... I wonder if they contacted Wes to get his permission.

Joshua Chan
Joshua Naterman said:
Almost all of that video was shot way, way before Paul Zaichik or however I'm supposed to spell that name knew any of those guys, and he had nothing at all to do with Wes's development. That should really be illegal... I wonder if they contacted Wes to get his permission.

I agree with you Joshua a hundred percent. Making profit over someone else like this is just shameful. And not only are they not giving due credit but selling something that will never make anyone achieve this skills is a scam. Plain dishonesty.

Coach, by the way, good luck on the upcoming Visa Championships and thank you for taking the time to upload the last two videos.

-Chan

John Sapinoso

Triggering some major allergy to bullshit on an anaphylactic shock level.

I especially loved the back kip to shoulder stand played in slow motion and then in reverse to look like it's a reverse muscle up. I disliked the video on youtube so they don't mistake my viewing as support...

Joshua Naterman

I just tweeted him to see if he is aware of what is going on. Curious to see if there is a response.

seiyafan

It seems to me that for most people who are strong enough to perform those skills they probably don't need to see this video anyway.

Julian Aldag

Absolutely ridiculous! Didn't they say if you could do a pull to cross then you could get their video for free? Ha!!

Also they are not different progressions, just variations of crappy technique.

Sometimes I wish I didn't have a soul, then I could make a bundle with Internet Marketing!

"Check out my new scientifically backed shitty dips that you didn't know you weren't doing!!!"

Joshua Naterman
jules said:

Sometimes I wish I didn't have a soul, then I could make a bundle with Internet Marketing!

"Check out my new scientifically backed shitty dips that you didn't know you weren't doing!!!"

I know, this runs across my mind sometimes.

seiyafan

Sometimes I wonder what audience members are those ads on the Internet such as "60 year old grandma discovered a trick no one else knows..." targeting.

Vincent Stoyas

I remember before, I was wondering how credible the Elastic steel (or whatever) was for their flexibility programs. I was tempted to buy what he had, but I never actually indulged and bought it. Now after seeing that program's name stapled onto this buttery fly/muscle video, I'm really glad that I didn't buy his video/book.

Alvaro
Joshua Naterman said:
jules said:

Sometimes I wish I didn't have a soul, then I could make a bundle with Internet Marketing!

"Check out my new scientifically backed shitty dips that you didn't know you weren't doing!!!"

I know, this runs across my mind sometimes.

Tricks will only take you so far. Quality content and mouth to ear is a far better strategy hands down. :D . You only have to be a bit more concise in your responses (you are pretty much nailing it lately), it is all you need for your reputation to grow (more). :wink:

Joshua Naterman
Vincearoo said:
I remember before, I was wondering how credible the Elastic steel (or whatever) was for their flexibility programs. I was tempted to buy what he had, but I never actually indulged and bought it. Now after seeing that program's name stapled onto this buttery fly/muscle video, I'm really glad that I didn't buy his video/book.

I have elastic steel, and the production value is sub-par. The stretching is not really anything special, but some good stretches are shown. You're way, way better off with Stretching Scientifically and Relax into Stretch.

Joshua Naterman
omegant said:
Joshua Naterman said:
jules said:

Sometimes I wish I didn't have a soul, then I could make a bundle with Internet Marketing!

"Check out my new scientifically backed shitty dips that you didn't know you weren't doing!!!"

I know, this runs across my mind sometimes.

Tricks will only take you so far. Quality content and mouth to ear is a far better strategy hands down. :D . You only have to be a bit more concise in your responses (you are pretty much nailing it lately), it is all you need for your reputation to grow (more). :wink:

Thanks! I am putting a little more effort into this area.

Andrew Komarnyckyj

While I agree with the above comments, I still think that the Butterfly - as I now know it's called - is a pretty amazing move!

Joshua Naterman
Andy K said:
While I agree with the above comments, I still think that the Butterfly - as I now know it's called - is a pretty amazing move!

Oh, it is! Very difficult. I think that quite a few rings specialists can do them, they just aren't scored very highly for how much energy you spend getting into position. Gregor was talking about this somewhere a while ago. There are a lot of things that gymnasts can do that you never see in competition because what matters there are the point values, not actual physical exertion, and there are a lot of moves rated D and butterfly cross is harder than some of the others, so why do it?

John Sapinoso
Joshua Naterman said:
There are a lot of things that gymnasts can do that you never see in competition because what matters there are the point values, not actual physical exertion, and there are a lot of moves rated D and butterfly cross is harder than some of the others, so why do it?

Such is the tragedy of modern gymnastics.

Joshua Naterman

I know... Ah well, at least we aren't so limited!

Philip Chubb

This is why I refuse to actually learn the point system in gymnastics. I think it would make me hate the sport. Irony...

Piotr Ochocki
Andy K said:
While I agree with the above comments, I still think that the Butterfly - as I now know it's called - is a pretty amazing move!

I like it as a way of getting into maltese/inverted - Balandin 1 and 2 skills, great stuff.

YOu can see them here, jump to 3minute.

Andrew Komarnyckyj

My God the moves in that video that started with a vertical hang were unbelievable! But seeing is believing I guess...

seiyafan

Carmona :shock:

Piotr Ochocki
seiyafan said:
Carmona :shock:

There was a brief discussion about ugliness of that skill as seen there :):

http://gymnasticbodies.com/forum/viewto ... 10&p=54145

alec_ar

Is it possible to go straight from a German hang into an iron cross with a straight arm transition and no momentum? I am working said movement with iron cross trainers and from what work I've done on a regular butterfly cross pull, the German hang version is vastly harder, and more focused on the pecs.

Thoughts? Is it doable?

Ian Myers

Definitely. Just like going from BL to iron cross but with a little more to do :P