Realizing you guys were right about the Pre-requisites

Started by triquetrum, May 4, 2012 · 3 Replies · 2,583 Views

triquetrum

Hi, everyone.

I half-assed the prerequisites when I started gymnastics trainings almost 4 months ago. I am only now coming to realize what a terrible mistake this was. My FSP's haven't progressed, while my dynamic movements have been going okay. Considering I've been at it for 4 months, I really don't have a lot to show for it.

That said, I will be starting the pre-req static positions all over again. I'm going to stop all my more advanced FSP work (front lever, back lever, planche). I feel this won't be too detrimental because, to be honest, I haven't moved up a progression on any of those.

My question: I want to know if it is okay to still maintain my dynamic strength. If it is, would it be ok to start following the WOD's on days when the stuff is dynamic? Or, should I just hold off on that until I get 3x60 seconds on the five remanining pre-reqs? I don't mind losing the weight I've gained (+14 lbs :) And even so, much of it I feel is in my legs) because I can always gain it back. But I don't want it to impinge on my future gains so to speak. Right now, I just want to fix my imbalances and weaknesses.

My routine is going to be like this:

1. warm up

2. play/skill work (ido's beginner movement routines, monkey bars, martial arts forms, fundamental yoga movements, etc.)

3. Fundamental FSP's

4. Legs (I'll follow the Wod's on these because my legs are in, comparatively, very good shape)

5. Pre-hap (Joshua's shoulder routine/ ido's scapular routine/ Coach sommer's routines)

6. Stretching

So can I add some dynamic upper body maintenance work in there? It will be the basics. Pull ups, push ups, dips, partial HLL. I really don't want to do these at the expense of messing myself up even further. But if you guys say it'll be ok...

Thanks for any help. And let this be an example to all beginners. Should've listened to you guys from the getgo :cry:

Paradox

Hi. I took the liberty of going through your previous posts on the forum. It seems your big sticking point are your lower trapezius fibres but you have put yourself in a catch-22 situation thinking that to strengthen your lower trapezius you need to perform the flat tuck FL but to perform the flat tuck FL you need stronger lower trap fibres. This is incorrect. Bulgarian rows should help you along with hanging shrugs done at various elbow flexion angles. Wall extensions will be of benefit.

That being said, you do not need to stop working dynamic strength. In fact, I recommend you start up Coach Sommer's WOD's. You seem as if you are having trouble structuring a routine. The WOD's will help with your muscular imbalances.

As for the FSP's, I would suggest you discontinue flat tuck FL work and focus on bulgarians. A couple of sets before the WOD two times a week should help out. Get your Pre-FSP's up to 60 seconds. Do these right after your workout. Since you are already of some strength, I suggest working on handstands, l-sits, rounded tuck FL and frog's for very, very few sets after the pre-FSP work. The handstands and l-sits are an excellent pair as are rounded FL's and frogs. Continue on with the WOD after all that. Cut the "play" out of your workout for now. It will waste needed strength. Do it later in the day if you want.

Rik de Kort

L-sit. Work it.

Cole Dano

Yes you absolutely should add what you are calling dynamic exercises.

It is important to note, there are not actually considered dynamic movements, in BtGB (ed. I) Coach calls them FBEs (FUNDAMENTAL Bodyweight Exercises) which a very different from dynamic in that they are intended to be done without momentum and for the purposes of building physical strength, which means rep ranges are 1-5/set.

The way to avoid messing yourself up further is to pick the proper exercise in the progression. For example the pushing progression starts with Push-Up and ends with HSPUs. You need to figure out where you are in that series and work from there up. When you get strong enough to do everything you can begin to think about multi-plane programing etc. For now it's generally a simple progression.

As for L-sit even that has earlier steps that should be mastered first and hopefully everyone is aware that the trifecta of Hollow Body Hold, Arch Body Hold and the Planks are part of the foundation for everything.