I've just started training for a deadlift/bench press competiton that's in a few months and so I have recently begun working out with a lot more weights and less gymnastics. I am on a powerlifting workout program with this other guy and we train 5 days a week the various lifts and supplemental exercises. This leaves little time for keeping up with fsp's and wods. So my question is what is the best way to implement gymnastics training so that I don't lose the skills/strength gains? I love doing wods much more, but if I'm going to be in this competition I want to commit to it. My biggest concern is that I will lose all progress on the fsp's. Would it still be beneficial to do the fsp's and handstands as a warmup before my regular powerlifting workouts?
Powerlifting and Gymnastics
Started by Samuel Carr, April 25, 2012 · 6 Replies · 2,984 Views
Definitely fits in as warmups. Good open shoulder handstand work is great prehab work. I can't say more without knowing the training plan you're using to prep for the pull/press comp.
Use it as warm up. Especially effective with embedded fsp. So if I don't want to lose my planche or handstand pushup, I'll start in a bent arm planche, pushup to a normal one and hold, lower down and press up to handstand. Doesn't take much energy and saves you from completely deadapting.
Excellent article on Eatmoveimprove, answering your question: http://www.eatmoveimprove.com/2012/04/i ... -training/
^^^
Basically that. Use the gymnastics stuff as assistance but they probably aren't the same as assistance lifts for the barbells.
Possibly split your gymnastics stuff seperately in the day focusing on maintenance, not volume, possibly before bar work.
Forgot to ask is this raw or equipped? Training changes between the two.
Okay thanks. My training is monday = chest/tri with benching, tuesday = back/bi, wednesday = dl/legs (light), thursday = shoulders, and saturday = dl/legs (heavy). I did the fsp warmup before my last workout and although I was slightly fatigued overall I felt much better so I'm going to keep doing it. It is assistance with a dl belt for the heavy sets and then I guess I'm going to use a singlet at the competition.