Getting stronger?

Started by Zingam, April 23, 2012 · 4 Replies · 16,771 Views

Zingam

I've recently got a pair of rings. Back in January I have managed to injure my elbow (tendons) and it really hurt my training progress for the next 3 months. I think I am OK now. I have stopped weight lifting workouts.

I am trying to be very careful this time. All I am doing on the rings is ring support and hanging upside down. I am trying to do circles front to back and back to front with tucked legs of course.

I have a few questions on how to progress from now on with the rings training.

1. It happens quite often that when I pull myself up into position the rings start swinging. Is there a way to prevent/stop that from happening or it is best to start over?

2. I cannot do a muscle up. Even worse I find it impossible to drop form a ring support position to a hanging position in a slow, controlled and safe way. What should I do about that?

Should I start trying to learn the levers and other stuff already or I should better stick to the hold positions of a while? How long? I feel like I need much better joint prep work. My wrists, elbows and shoulders feel like made of cheese :oops:

seiyafan

Ring push ups, that's a good place to start.

Brutus
Zingam said:
I have a few questions on how to progress from now on with the rings training.

1. It happens quite often that when I pull myself up into position the rings start swinging. Is there a way to prevent/stop that from happening or it is best to start over?

2. I cannot do a muscle up. Even worse I find it impossible to drop form a ring support position to a hanging position in a slow, controlled and safe way. What should I do about that?

Should I start trying to learn the levers and other stuff already or I should better stick to the hold positions of a while? How long? I feel like I need much better joint prep work. My wrists, elbows and shoulders feel like made of cheese :oops:

I will give my beginner opinion. As you I have also suffered the urge to develop my skills before I was really prepared to.

1) I have solved some of the ring swinging problems keeping my body compact by contracting abs and back while I was pulling myself. It also helped me trying to pull the rings down and out

2) I still can not do a single muscle up. There are several ways to develop the strength and skill necessary:

- False grip (maybe the most important thing) http://gymnasticswod.com/content/false- ... ssions-pt1

- Russian dips (being able to complete 4-5 reps of a controlled, slow Russian dip will improve your chances to do a muscle up)

- Negative mucle up feet assisted (use a ladder to support your feet)

- Negative mucle up

Rik de Kort

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=4301

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=4313

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=5265

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=4232

Those should help a lot. ;)

Zingam

Thank you, Everybody, for your ideas!

Rik, great links. I have read them before but the first. It's a great information! Thank you very much!