My Beginner thread!

Started by thedream13, April 22, 2012 · 5 Replies · 2,377 Views

thedream13

Hello Gymnastic Peoples,

I have the BtGB book and have been reading through the forums for a long time now. I have a ton of goals i am trying to achieve, and i thought it would be good for other people to see how i got started with my unique circumstances. I have seen other pages where people such as slizz and other respected members have begun helping people, telling them to post videos and such of their progress towards their goals but it never works out like they expected. My idea for this forum is to do so. I will post frequently because i want to achieve my dream (my username :wink: )

Okay so now a little bit about me. I am an 18 year old High School Senior and i have been playing hockey since i was 4 y/o. I have always been a small gritty player. What i lack in size, strength, and speed i make up for with work ethic, heart, and as the hockey world would say "dirty dangles." My goal has always been to play d1 hockey, but i was told i was too small and not strong enough during this season. In 32 GP i had 13G and 20A. That would be good enough numbers to play college hockey if i was big. The problem is that big players at the d1 level are gritty and hard working, but they are also big. (I'm 5 9 150). I understand that you guys might not know a lot about hockey, but i am going to try to walk on to an well known d1 program. which rarely happens.

Enough about hockey. As you can see the key to me walking on is to get A. Stronger B. Bigger (bulkier) C. Quicker and better Stamina. Now this is where i need help constructing a program. I don't know quite where to start. I have seen the prereq basic things, but i am extremely unflexible and have terrible shoulder mobility. I also need to incorporate conditioning, whether it be running hills, metcons, or a combo. So any input will help. Thanks guys, hopefully this can be a big popular thread that helps everyone new to the gymnatic community!

Ian Myers

When you say bulkier, what are you talking about? Like what scale?

Are you too inflexible to do prerequisites? Most of them dont require too much and will help with flexibility. Id start working those.

thedream13
igm503 said:
When you say bulkier, what are you talking about? Like what scale?

Are you too inflexible to do prerequisites? Most of them dont require too much and will help with flexibility. Id start working those.

By bulkier I mean thicker... Im a beanpole even at 5 10. I have skinny long arms and legs, not good for hockey. Im flexible enough for most stuff. I think this is going to be my starting program.

Do the Prerequisites every workout building up to 3 x 60 each for fsps. Then start l sits, BL, FL

FBEs

Monday Pushup progression and SL strength, HS practice

Tuesday pullup progression, HLL, lower back

Thursday- Pushup progression, SL strength, HS pushup progression

Friday- pullups progression, HLL, lower back

So that would be my strength routine. Pushups to get used to rings, but quickly move into vertical component. The problem is I need to work on quickness and endurance (mainly legs) and I don't know how to do so. Metcons or running drills, and what days would you guys suggest. I'm going to start next Monday when I have rings. Thanks

Ian Myers

as far as endurance for your legs, running hills will help a lot, and build muscle. unfortunately, balancing endurance and strength can be tricky

thedream13
igm503 said:
as far as endurance for your legs, running hills will help a lot, and build muscle. unfortunately, balancing endurance and strength can be tricky

So would I be better off focusing on strength, and building endurance later because I have heard it is easier to improve in just a couple weeks whereas strength is a slow progression.

Ian Myers

yeah id say thats a good plan, especially considering that you wont need an excessive amount of aerobic conditioning for hockey (at least compared endurance sports :P )