Critique My Workout

Started by under-construction, April 14, 2012 · 9 Replies · 2,685 Views

under-construction

I am after some advise on ways in which I can improve my workout, I am 30 years old and have been training for the last 12 years, the first 10 years was mainly spent using free weight and for the past 18 months I have mainly used body weights. I currently train in my garage gym, I have a power rack with pull up bar and an extention that allows me to hang gymnastic rings, swiss ball and kettle bells 8-16kg. I also have a weighted vest (10kg) and a dipping belt to add extra weight.

for the past 6 months I have mainly trained 2-3 times per week using super sets, in addition to this I do 2 football sessions, 1 thai boxing session and 1 hill sprint session, an example strength work out would be something like this,

warmm up-

skipping and dynamics

strength work-

ring pull ups/ kettle bell push ups off swiss ball

wide grip chins/ring dips

close grip pull ups/swiss ball Kettle Bell flys

Goblet squats/ calf raises

core

hanging leg raises

Abs wheel

cool down

static stretches

my sets and reps are varied, sometimes do weighted work with low weight or higher reps with body weight.

My current stats are 78kg with 18-20% body fat, my goal is to reduce body fat and add more mass, improve core strength and shape. I would also like to achieve a muscle up which I am struggling with at the moment and learn more about gymnastic moves. Diet is clean with high protien, healthy fats and complexed carbs, I let my hair down at the weekend and am not quite as strict.

here is what I was planning on changing to, any advice will be appreciated,

sat- pull

FSE-

plank- 60s

reverse plank- 60s

side plank-60s

hollow- 30s

superman hold-30s

hang off pull up bar-30s

FBE-

weighted ring pull ups x3

wide grip chins x3

close grip pull ups x3

front lever x 3

weighted calf raises or kettle bell swings

static stretches

Sun- push

FSE-

plank- 60s

reverse plank- 60s

side plank-60s

hollow- 30s

superman hold-30s

L sit on kettle bells or rings

FBE-

ring dips x3

Hand stand push ups x3

Kettle Bell push ups off swiss ball x3

Kettle bell flys x3

Walking weighted lunges or golblet squats

static stretches.

I would repeat these workout again on Tuesday and Wednesday but would use body weight for the pull and add weight for the push. It works out at heavy pull Sat followed by a light push on Sun, then mid week a light pull on Tues and heavy push on. Wed.

Ian Myers

Your FBEs look pretty good, you've got all the planes for pushing and pulling, just make sure youre on steady state cycles so you can increase every 2-3 months. For your FSPs, I'd suggest maybe throwing in some l-sit work, and once youve got the l-sit down start hitting the levers and planche work(provided that by that time you have a 60 second hollow and arch hold) :)

under-construction

thanks for the reply, I will look at adding in, I am also thinking of purchasing or making a set of parrelettes.

Ian Myers

Yeah I'm gonna be needing a pair of those soon too.

under-construction

one quick question about rest, during my FSE's I take 30 seconds between each, during my FBE's I take 1 and half minutes, is that about right?

I have completed my first 2 work outs yesterday and today, I have got really bad doms :-(

here where my times,

Sat- Pull

FSE-

plank- 2x 60 seconds

reverse plank 2x60 seconds

side planks 2x30 secons- found these difficult as I am not used to them

hollow- 2x45 seconds

superman- 2x60 seconds

dead hang- 2x30 secons

FBE-

ring pull ups- body weight

1x10

1x7

1x8

wide grip pull ups

1x9

1x8

1x7

Pull ups

1x8

1x7

1x8

front lever

1x5

1x5

1x5

calf raises on step- 16kg kettle bells

1x20

1x20

1x20

under-construction

Sun- push

FSE's

plank 2x60

reverse plank 2x60

side plank 2x45

hollow 2x45

superman 2x60

parrallel hold (on kettlebells in parralette position)2x30

FBE's

hand stand push ups

1x3

1x3

1x3

ring dips

1x10

1x8

1x7

kettlebell press ups off swiss ball

1x8

1x8

1x7

kettlebell flys on swiss ball with 12 kg kettlebells

1x12

1x12

1x12

under-construction

also when you say steady state cycle, what exactly do you mean? stay with the same program for 6-8 weeks?

cheers

Ian Myers

Yeah your rest is fine. Theoretically you could rest as long as you wanted between FBEs just because its not an aerobic exercise, so you wont fully recover for a day or two.

Steady state cycling means you stay with the same workouts AND reps for each exercise. For example, I saw that you went from 30 seconds to 45 seconds in the side plank. From now until at least a month has passed, dont go over 45 seconds in the side plank and dont increase the difficulty of any exercise you do. For more detail look here. http://maximalimpact.blogspot.com/2012/04/steady-state-training.html

under-construction

one quick question regarding the steady state cycle, I was going to do 2 weighted sessions and 2 body weight per week, would I be better sticking with body weight and adding weight on all the sessions when I begin my next steady state cycle?

Cheers

Ian Myers

If when you say weighted you mean the same exercises but just increasing the difficulty, then yes id standardize that for every workout. :)