Building strength+muscle

Started by Ragnarok, April 13, 2012 · 5 Replies · 2,560 Views

Ragnarok

I just read Pavel's book Power to the People; in there he says that you can get super strong without adding any bulk. Well, is there a way to get very strong but also get muscle at the same time? I certainly like strength very much but i would also like to pack muscle at the same time. Is there a tweak or something in the pure strength training of gymnastics you can do to achieve this?

He mentions the Commando's routine for size but, if i understood it correctly (which im not sure), he only did 2 exercises, the deadlift and some other pressing one once a week. It goes without saying I would eventually like to do PL, FL, BL, HSPU's, and very advanced FBE's, to name a few things, not 2 exercises a week.

I'm 22 and i consider myself a fitness enthusiast; i wouldn't mind the "added bulk" that would affect pro gymnasts which they can still get doing what they're doing in a slightly different way (or so i think i read somewhere).

Quick Start Test Smith

I agree. Just do the WODs! You will quickly learn how to substitute progressions, and you can easily program in extra stuff into the periodized WOD pattern which is basically the following (afaik):

Monday 1 = Dynamic push

Tuedsay 1 = Ring Series

Thursday = Embedded

Friday = Dynamic Pull

Monday 2 = Leg strength

Tuesday 2 = Handstand

Thursday 2 = Dynamic legs

Friday 2 = Ring Series

Monday 3 = Embedded

Tuesday 3 = Dynamic push

Thursday 3 = Leg strength

Friday 3 = Handstand

Monday 4 = Dynamic pull

Tuesday 4 = Ring Series

Thursday 4 = Embedded

Friday 4 = Dynamic legs

Monday 5 = Leg strength

Tuesday 5 = Handstand

I haven't figured out what the Thursday 5 and Friday 5 are yet.

Ragnarok
Richard Burns said:
I don't get it.

Well I don't know how strong Pavel is or how much he can lift but he's (in his own words, ironically) a pencilneck. Kind of funny reading a book about strength when the author is a stick.

Edward Kaspar

afaik Pavel deadlifted 585 at around 180lbs. surely in a field such as gymnastics being as strong as possible at a relatively low bodyweight is desirable no? I fail to see how the weight of an author reflects upon his/her work, especially one with credentials such as Pavel's

Ragnarok
Ornaments said:
afaik Pavel deadlifted 585 at around 180lbs. surely in a field such as gymnastics being as strong as possible at a relatively low bodyweight is desirable no? I fail to see how the weight of an author reflects upon his/her work, especially one with credentials such as Pavel's

Yeah of course, i didn't mean just because he wasn't big that what he was saying didn't have any truth to it or anything like that, i just thought it was funny.