Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

A delicate balance

Bryce Warren

Bryce Warren

I've been getting this stuff shoved down my throat so I'm curious as to your guys views on this. I have no knowledge on the subjec all I know from reading here is most are against the vegetarian stuff. Not planning on becoming one myself, just some knowledge on it. So just watch the trailer and post up :)

http://adelicatebalance.com.au/

Larry Roseman
I've been getting this stuff shoved down my throat so I'm curious as to your guys views on this. I have no knowledge on the subjec all I know from reading here is most are against the vegetarian stuff. Not planning on becoming one myself, just some knowledge on it. So just watch the trailer and post up :)

http://adelicatebalance.com.au/

Thanks for the link ... when I have a couple of hours I'll try to watch the whole thing and take notes!

Sometimes arguments stand together as a whole, but depend on subtle unproven assumptions.

Most likely I'll be starting a holistic nutrition course soon and no doubt will have the same arguments made to me.

It's probably true that a vegetarian diet is the healthiest or among the healthiest and easiest on the environment.

It doesn't mean it is the best for athletic purposes, the tastiest, the most necessarily low fat, etc. But if eating vegetarian or just more vegetables is something that appeals to you, I think it's great to try.

Aurele (close I hope) on this board has a lot to say about it.

Nic Branson

Still need to watch the entire thing but the environmental impact would appear to be more an impact of the ever increasing population of humans. Perhaps a more vegetarian diet could benefit the environment more, I don't know.

Sadly we live in a very politically motivated world. Both sides do a great job of skewing the facts.

For some reason people want to believe that the vegetarians or greens are the good guys and can be trusted. This is simply not the case.

Like Jeff said, Hitler was the world's most famous vegetarian.

The facts themselves usually aren't that clear, in matters like this, it's because nature isn't black and white, it's a system of trade offs and compromises.

One of my favorite examples of this is the controversy surrounding compact fluorescent lighting (CFL) which in some cases actually has a higher carbon footprint and poses some serious ecological risks due to their mercury content.

I can say for certain that being a vegetarian doesn't mean you are a better person. 30 years in the highly vegetarian world of yoga has proven that to me. People are people regardless of eating habits.

Bruno Cochofel

Like Jeff said, Hitler was the world's most famous vegetarian.

I have to disagree with this...

Albert Einstein

Gandhi

Leonardo Da Vinci

where all vegetarians

and a famous athlete

Carl Lewis

and even body builders

http://life.dailyburn.com/diet-and-nutr ... ybuilders/

I'm not defending vegetarians, but like any other thing, there will always be the ones who defend some diet, like vegetarian, paleo, etc...

I try to eat what I think is good for me, it's really close to paleo, but not really paleo only.

About the environment, we live in an industrial world, we are still learning from our mistakes and now we are paying the cost of several years of growing evolution, gadgets and we "all depend" on them in some way. It's really difficult to say witch will be the "best" diet for the environment because all of them depend on the industry to put it in the market for us to buy.

Nic Branson
The more people who go vegetarian, the better. They can give me the meat they're not eating.

Don't even think about it...the meat is mine! :P lol

David Barclay

Guys, this could be a pretty good discussion, so please don't ruin it by politicizing it with the ridiculous 'Hitler was a ___' type of responses. Political correctness aside, it is a meaningless response that adds nothing to the debate. Surely we can come up with something a bit more enlightening and worthy of discussion...

yours,

David in Ottawa

Philip Chubb
The more people who go vegetarian, the better. They can give me the meat they're not eating.

Don't even think about it...the meat is mine! :P lol

I know! We can invite new vegetarians to bring all their meat to our errr...."New Vegetarian Meat Party!". Where we will errr dispose of said meat. :mrgreen: .

I am all down for helping the earth ect ect. But I am sure there are some more important things at the moment than the food we eat.

Robb Wolf mentioned sustainability in his latest podcast with Cordain. Local farms with grassfed animals are the way to go.

Guys, this could be a pretty good discussion, so please don't ruin it by politicizing it with the ridiculous 'Hitler was a ___' type of responses. Political correctness aside, it is a meaningless response that adds nothing to the debate. Surely we can come up with something a bit more enlightening and worthy of discussion...

yours,

David in Ottawa

The point I was trying to make and I believe Jeff as well is this is a political issue being disguised as a moral one. In this case, I had no issues whatsoever with mentioning that Hitler was a vegetarian, as a way of demonstrating that a persons eating habits have no correlation to his ethics. Of course that goes both ways as Bruno pointed out, people are people. Politics is politics.

Recall the OP stated he is getting this stuff pushed on him.

Bryce Warren

I'd like to know what the real issues are in terms of performance when it comes to vegeterian diets. I've read about certain deficiencies etc, so among these what other real issues are brought into play? I know there are also athletes that do fairly well on with this type of nutrition, so where are the real problems? So far I've gathered that it takes a lot more effort and watchfulness to STAY healthy while eating vegan, so why would it even be worth it?

Nic Branson

It's a personal choice. If you want to be one for a reason that is important to you then you just need to know what you can and should eat to cover your nutrient bases. It is possible and some people do well on it. Access to good produce and knowing which ones contain what nutrients is very important.

Bryce Warren

Yes but aside from personal reasons. They just consistently say it's better all around, has nothing to do with their reasons for doing it. Saying it's superior to paleo or any other nutrition plan, you'll feel better all around, so on and so forth. This is why I'm asking, to get some more specific answers on the actual effect and differences of these two choices.

Nic Branson

Nobody can tell you how you will feel. If you really want to be one then part of the feeling is likely psychological as well. We feel better when we do things we enjoy, live the way we want to etc. You're asking a question nobody but you can answer.

People respond differently to different things...

Bryce Warren

I'm quite sure there is a lot of points to be made on both sides of this argument. Otherwise it wouldn't even be a debate, yet it's ongoing as to who's is more effective. Talk to them they'll come up with reason after reason as to the effect on the body. I'm sure someone here has something more informative to speak of.

Nic Branson

There are studies that support both sides. That's what I am trying to say, it's not clear cut. Some studies show it to be better some show no change, some others have shown it to be worse. You could spend months reading studies, and not have an answer...

I'm sorry if this is not what you want to hear...as to not detract I will not post anymore here...

Bryce Warren

I just want to know the major points that are brought up consistently. I read some things that Poliquin had to say and he just wants nothing to do with it lol. I'd like to know the big issues that would cause one to be so against the other since from my end it feels like a war of the worlds goin' on.

Larry Roseman
I just want to know the major points that are brought up consistently. I read some things that Poliquin had to say and he just wants nothing to do with it lol. I'd like to know the big issues that would cause one to be so against the other since from my end it feels like a war of the worlds goin' on.

Who is giving you a hard time, and why do you feel you have to respond to them?

I would tell them eating is only one part of our existance and

impact of the environment. There are many other impacts and looking at food

in isolation may provide a false sense of accomplishment and well being.

There is too much to be concerned about to feel especially good for just not eating meat.

That should blow their mind for a while.

Bryce Warren

I'm actually in a vegan fitness group on facebook that I was invited to from a friend. Yes I know you're thinking just leave the group and so on. I stay for the half of the group that is actually really motivating and just positive. So it's kind of an interesting group at the very least. As well I just recently had someone pm me after a debate that went on asking what I do for nutrition, as well as wondering a bit about being a vegetarian (she wasn't one, just curious about it). So along with the fact that I'm a personal trainer and would like to be able to have some input on this subject for future discussions, that recent pm was the main reason for me wanting the info. Not because I'm intentionally egging this group on, so don't rag on me for that :roll: Although it's nice to be able to respond to the ones who think they know it all and if you're not vegan you will be devoured by diseases and whatnot :lol:

Flexi, I was a vegetarian for 15-20 years, and honestly up until the last three or four years I felt great and was strong as I needed to be for what I was doing, high level Ashtanga yoga.

However, at some point it just felt like all the energy that I originally felt from being a vegetarian just drained out of me. I was starting to feel like I was wasting. It took me a number of years to realize that it was time for me to start eating meat again. I have absolutely no regrets. It's also the first time I've been able to gain any muscle mass in my life, at 49 years old. My wife is astonished that my arms are getting bigger not my belly. The main thing I appreciate is feeling good.

I think that over the course of one's life there may many diets that work best. I felt when I stopped eating meat it was what my body wanted, then it became a kind of ideology. When I was able to let go of that, I could also accept that it was time for a switch back to meat.

Bryce Warren

Thanks for sharing that Cole. I can see how the whole wasting thing could come into play. Some of the people in this group I'm in...if you had to guess right off the bat you'd say they either never eat, they're bulimic, or they're actually just really sick. It feels like one of those things that can actually be quite dangerous unless you absolutely know what you're doing. Only reason I can see some professional athletes doing this well is because they're just that. "Professional Athletes". They'll have trainers, professional advice on everything they need, etc, etc. I see quite a difference from a regular omnivorous person as opposed to a regular vegan, especially in lbm. Obviously the whole "makes you a happier person" thing is a crock as well. That was kind of proven by the hostile attitudes I got from quite a few people just in the group lol. Well this is helpin' me out fairly well so anymore input is greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

• 3 months later...
Andrew Long

Hej,

From my own experience and research on this stuff I have noticed that when people decided to change their diet to a vegan or vegetarian diet that is not all they do. They usually change other lifestyle factors such as more exercise less or no drinking/smoking, etc. It is the same for the studies I have seen done they don't just cut or reduce meat they remove all sorts of other crap out of their lives yet everyone seems to think the meat is what was the problem and ignore all the other factors that come into play. So if you want to know if vegetarianism is good for you then cut meat out and nothing else and see how you do for a while or if you want to become vegan first cut all the other processed crap you would cut out with veganism but keep the meat see how you feel then cut the meat out later and see if it makes a difference. I honestly think the best way for you to find out is to try it yourself but dont cut a bunch of different foods out including meat, change your lifestyle and then think the removal of meat is what is making you feel different, if it does at all. think about the other factors you may have changed.

Important Information

Please review our Privacy Policy at Privacy Policy before using the forums.