Help! I need somebody!

Started by Aaron Hughson, April 10, 2012 · 9 Replies · 2,949 Views

Aaron Hughson

Hey guys I know this question is asked a ton

And I dont mean to rehash it, but I need help.

I'd really like to setup a routine that curtails to my now

limited strength and mobility.

STATS

Height: 5'4"

155 lb usually 130 lb

The only part I have is my warm up.

Your (beginner) warm up should look like:

60s plank

60s reverse plank

60s perfect hollow hold with hands over your head

60s arch hold in the superman flying position

60s Parallel Bar support.

60s chin up grip dead hang

That will keep you busy for quite a little while. You shouldn't need any rest really, maybe a few breaths. Honestly, that is probably too much right now, which is why you will be doing these for whatever time you can manage with a perfect hold and doing 3 total sets. You can do them in rounds or as individual exercises, though I know Coach prefers his guys to do 3 sets plank if they can't hold 60s, THEN 3 sets reverse plank, etc. If you DO have an easy 60s PERFECT hold then that is all you will do each day. At first this may take up to 20 minutes to perform. Eventually it will take 6 minutes. As you get stronger your warm up will evolve just as your workouts will, but for a while this is where you should be. If it makes you feel any better, I have started off with this stuff too and worked my way through the basics. I still practice them every day as my warm up, along with the shoulder balancing stuff that I repeat so often here, and I am seeing good improvements.

You should start thinking of "warm up" as basic strength and CNS learning reinforcement. For you, this IS the basics. It's going to be tough, and that's ok. If you don't build up to this you will never make good progress in much of your strength work. This idea applies whether it is weight lifting, bodybuilding or gymnastics. Failure to recognize this necessity and develop this ability is what holds back a lot of people.

I know that sometimes it seems like the advice we give is wonky, but try to remember that those of us putting it out there have gotten this information directly from Coach, face to face at the seminars. You would be surprised at how many people who are quite strong find out they have weak points that are holding them back. This knowledge is, in my opinion, the single biggest reason that May's seminar attendees made so much progress between then and September.

When you put a 6 minute video up showing me you have accomplished all of this I will assist you in the next step. In the meantime, master what I posted. Put up a video of your initial attempts so that we can see where you are starting from. It will help if you are wearing shorts that do not cover your knees and a tight tank top or no shirt at all. We need to be able to see your body in order to help you. Post that in Digital Coaching.

The hardest part is know where to start when it come to different exercises.

Should I Start with the beginning WOD?

I would like to focus on Basic Strength 3 Days a Week w/ One Day for Yoga.

Yoga more for the breathing techniques.

Should I focus on fat loss directly first?

If someone could just map out a training regimen it would help so much. It would provide the tools to help learn to fish.

Blairbob

Do you have the book? Not very easy to figure out wod without it.

Killroy70 is a decent template but doesn't address lower body development. Omit multiplane day and just start off with 3 days.

Aaron Hughson

Ok so some development. My Cousins Friend Had the Book (Small World) and Gave it to Me. He left with no words of wisdom so I began reading. Not a fast reader so after a bit I began skimming the pages.

When I came to the FSP's I began Taking Notes and Numbering the Progressions in the series. As I progressed through the book, and to be honest I didn't really read it with detail but it seemed to jump difficulties and I was lost asking whats the next step so I will keep looking and Will come back with a training regimen for critique.

I will also be returning to my Paleo/Primal Lifestyle of Eating as I found that I realized I had increased stamina, strength, energy, looked better felt better overall. And I believe with that way of eating coupled with the BTGB Approach to Fitness will be a great combination.

I hope to make sure my Workouts Include the following.

Arm

Shoulders

Upper Back

Lower Back

Upper Abdominal

Lower Abdominal

Obliques

Upper Chest

Lower Chest

Legs

I am looking to fit this into a 3 Day/ Week Regimen.

So will get back to you guys in a bit let me know if its even possible to do this.

Joshua Naterman

If you would actually like to lose that fat as permanently as possible, with the greatest comfort (not having to do crazy caloric restriction) and with the greatest efficiency (not losing any muscle in the process, which would slow your metabolism and make it a near certainty that you would put fat back on with less muscle after you went back to normal food intake OR normal exercise levels) then I highly, highly suggest http://nutritiming.com/

It was invented by Dr. Dan Benardot, and basically allows you to map out whatever foods you choose to eat, along with your activity levels, so that you get a visual representation of where you are going wrong. You will be able to see how much you need to eat AND when, so that you lose that fat and keep all of your muscle.

I have seen classmates on the program, one of whom is a track and field runner (who you think would have already been pretty lean) and I have visually watched her body change over the past 2 months. She went from middle of the pack to winning easily, and is seriously one of the most athletic looking girls I have ever seen in my life. I was actually reluctant to comment on how much she has changed because I was afraid she might have developed some kind of eating disorder to have seen such a visible change in body fat %, but she has done it without cutting calories. She actually had to eat slightly more food and shift around the meals and snacks a bit, but with the program it is really easy.

I am using it myself, and even though I am in great shape it helps a lot and makes it much easier to see what and when I need to eat. It is really neat to be able to actually see where my few deficits are and adjust food intake accordingly, makes it easy to keep all the muscle I have worked hard for and keep on getting leaner.

Just a friendly suggestion, don't mean to sound pushy. I hope you check it out, there is an iPhone app as well as the computer version. I use the computer version, which is 7 or 8 bucks a month. A total steal, let me tell you. Could easily be worth 20-30 per month for what it allows you to do.

Edward Kaspar

purchased, thanks for the suggestion! looks great

Aaron Hughson

Thanks for the nutrition suggestion. But I don't count calories when I do Paleo/Primal. I simply listen to what my body is telling me and I do my best to balance it out with the right food. I like the elimination of grains, and the limiting of dairy products, along with the limiting Of processed sugars.

Overall Paleo/Primal has made me Live Better, Eat Better, and Sleep Better. So it's time to get back on track.

Joshua Naterman
Somalie said:
Thanks for the nutrition suggestion. But I don't count calories when I do Paleo/Primal. I simply listen to what my body is telling me and I do my best to balance it out with the right food. I like the elimination of grains, and the limiting of dairy products, along with the limiting Of processed sugars.

Overall Paleo/Primal has made me Live Better, Eat Better, and Sleep Better. So it's time to get back on track.

Are you advertising here or looking for help? I am assuming you're advertising, because no one has suggested any food changes and yet here you go, yapping about foods. Maybe I'm jumping the gun, but I see what I see.

Also, if you are 155 lbs, you are not usually 130 lbs. You are usually 155 lbs, and would like to BE 130 lbs or get back to 130 lbs.

Additionally: If you enjoy that diet so much, why screw up so bad that you go from 130 to 155? That's not a short term "oops" or a two week break, that's a lifestyle change whether you realize it or not. What made you leave the lifestyle that you say you enjoyed so much?

If you want to break up body parts like a bodybuilder, you may not have a very good understanding of how your body actually works.

For example, hollow hold progressions work the entire abdominal region. Upper lower, inner, outer, obliques, everything.

You won't need to worry about breaking your body up into "parts" here, that's not how bodyweight exercises work. By nature, because your body is moving through space, everything has to work at the same time. If you feel like a certain bodypart is under-represented, feel free to add an inclined chest fly for upper chest or whatever. Nothing wrong with that, we aren't an extremist program.

Assuming you aren't a bot, good luck. Since you now have the book, you should be able to look at the upper body pressing section, see "push ups" and realize that you need to start there. Same thing with upper body pulls, you should see foot supported rows and pull ups and realize that you need to start there. Core training = hollow hold progressions for all abs, and for lower back you want arch ups, curl ups, and arch hold.

Legs you should be able to figure out for yourself. Arms and shoulders are worked nicely by the above exercises, and you can (and should) do slow dumbbell lateral raises and shoulder W drills. Use google to figure out what those are. I will also suggest, if you are strong enough, that you start working on wall handstands.

Aaron Hughson
Joshua Naterman said:
Somalie said:
Thanks for the nutrition suggestion. But I don't count calories when I do Paleo/Primal. I simply listen to what my body is telling me and I do my best to balance it out with the right food. I like the elimination of grains, and the limiting of dairy products, along with the limiting Of processed sugars.

Overall Paleo/Primal has made me Live Better, Eat Better, and Sleep Better. So it's time to get back on track.

Are you advertising here or looking for help? I am assuming you're advertising, because no one has suggested any food changes and yet here you go, yapping about foods. Maybe I'm jumping the gun, but I see what I see.

Also, if you are 155 lbs, you are not usually 130 lbs. You are usually 155 lbs, and would like to BE 130 lbs or get back to 130 lbs.

Additionally: If you enjoy that diet so much, why screw up so bad that you go from 130 to 155? That's not a short term "oops" or a two week break, that's a lifestyle change whether you realize it or not. What made you leave the lifestyle that you say you enjoyed so much?

If you want to break up body parts like a bodybuilder, you may not have a very good understanding of how your body actually works.

For example, hollow hold progressions work the entire abdominal region. Upper lower, inner, outer, obliques, everything.

You won't need to worry about breaking your body up into "parts" here, that's not how bodyweight exercises work. By nature, because your body is moving through space, everything has to work at the same time. If you feel like a certain bodypart is under-represented, feel free to add an inclined chest fly for upper chest or whatever. Nothing wrong with that, we aren't an extremist program.

Assuming you aren't a bot, good luck. Since you now have the book, you should be able to look at the upper body pressing section, see "push ups" and realize that you need to start there. Same thing with upper body pulls, you should see foot supported rows and pull ups and realize that you need to start there. Core training = hollow hold progressions for all abs, and for lower back you want arch ups, curl ups, and arch hold.

Legs you should be able to figure out for yourself. Arms and shoulders are worked nicely by the above exercises, and you can (and should) do slow dumbbell lateral raises and shoulder W drills. Use google to

figure out what those are. I will also suggest, if you are strong enough, that you start working on wall handstands.

First and foremost not advertising!

And I'm doing this to get strong, look great and live out a childhood dream.

So I want to stick to body weight exercises. And only use weights when necessary and with the proper progressions.

I know I'm not asking for a simple answer and as I go through I am finding helpful information.

The hardest part is finding the beginning and structuring around that with the correct type of work out.

Like perhaps steady state cycles. I'd like to get more info on that.

I want to set a proper foundation.

So I'm thinking I will test for my max on FSP and do that 50% thing 3-4 sets.

Joshua Naterman

In the "getting started" and "basic strength" sections there are two stickies you should read. One is "steady state cycles" or something like that and one is "Pre-requisites?"

Those two are the beginning info you're looking for!

Aaron Hughson
Joshua Naterman said:
In the "getting started" and "basic strength" sections there are two stickies you should read. One is "steady state cycles" or something like that and one is "Pre-requisites?"

Those two are the beginning info you're looking for!

Awesome thx slizz!

I also started a log for the 16th and was hoping you take a look at it. I also found a sticky about different WU routines but can't find it again. Anyhoo check it out please.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=8700