Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

FIG vs Thicker rings

Matus Michalicka

Matus Michalicka

Hey guys.

I want to buy some quality rings. I am from Slovak republic and Xtreme rings ships for 50 bucks. I can get Rogue wooden rings from Rogue European Branch in Finland with cheap shipping cost.

I am thinking whether to buy FIG (1.11diameter) or regular(1.25) wooden rings. I am aware that FIG is the measure of gymnastic competition rings. However when I was lifting in the gym I was always trying to find thicker grip bar(mostly using Fat Gripz) cuz it was easier on the joins, mainly elbows and shoulders.

I am small guy (5''10') and my hand measures around 7,5 inches from wrist to the end of my middle finger.

Would you recommend me FIG size? regular? when trying to save joints :) and want to hold false grip :)

Keep in mind that I will never compete in gymnastics :mrgreen:

We have four sets of rings at the studio.

Two Xtreeme, one Rouge fig, one Elite which are larger than FIG.

I'm used to the FIG size and the Elite's just don't feel right.

Nic Branson

Hah I'm smaller...wait that doesn't seem like a bragging point.

5'6" here I've been using the Elite style to regain and work my false grip. I'm comfortable on them but they definitely feel different. For false grip work I think they are more difficult to work with which is why for now I'm choosing to utilize them. If you only want one set I would suggest FIG.

Matus Michalicka

thank you guy for replies.

I am inclining towards fig size. However I just received mail from rogue europe and FIG model is currently out of stock, will be available in 2 months.

The price is also quite high.

So my options are:

1. rogue regular - 144 dollars - available

2. rogue FIG - 144dollars - wait 2 months

3. xtreme rings - 135dollars with shipping duties (tax office will probably stop package)

I will probably go with xtreme rings, although I wanted wooden rings. The rings gymnasts use on competition are wooden or same plastic as xtreme rings?

Anyone know whether coach can send xtreme rings as gifts?

Taxes in Finland are pretty high, I think that is reflected in the price.

Honestly, you are better off in the long run with the composite rings, they will last longer and you don't need to worry about them at all. Having both I can't say one is better than the other.

Matus Michalicka

Actually tax is not that high..in slovakia its 20 percent, in finland rogue wrote that 21 percent.

I will have to pay 20 percent tax as a duty when Xtreme rings will be delivered to Slovakia. Rogue rings are more expensive even in the US and everything costs more in Europe.

The prices I listed are already including taxes and all duties.

I will probably go with the Xtreme rings ... according to what I read they look like great choice.

I prefer fig sized. So does my friend at 6 foot 200 Ish. If you have Mega sized hands and are in that 6 foot 3 plus, you might want to go with the oversized. I have a heck of a time with false grip on the rogue metal rings. I haven't used any of the oversized wood rings but I'd rather not in the first place.

140$ for rings?! Pass.

OyvindBirkeland

I've got two shipments to Norway without any troubles with import tax / VAT. First one was book and rings, second a few more rings. Not sure how that happened, but it sure was nice:)

Its quite hard finding quality rings here in Norway. You can get 100 different spinning cycles or treadmills, but if you ask for rings at a sport shop they might at the best be able to get hold of something that looks like toys...

Besides, I get so much good information from this side, I dont mind leaving some cash.

Craig Wilson

I've only used the Elite rings. Now I'm curious to try FIG sized rings.