Alright, or too much risk of overtraining?

Started by Thomas, April 2, 2012 · 5 Replies · 2,434 Views

Thomas

Hi!

First of all, becaus it is my first post, some information.

I'm Thomas, 16, and I live in Germany. I've been doing gymnastics as a hobby for about 10 years now and I've also been competing for the last 8 years. I'm 1,68m (5'6) and about 60kg (132lbs).

I am competing all around, and I am able to perform something around 72-73 points. So, not enough to go to the national championships, but enough to win some local competitions. I can do nearly all FSPs and a cross for several seconds, only the manna doesn't work yet.

Unfortunately, my gym isn't too cool. We don't have a pit or something like that, and we can't use it too often, due to other clubs training soccer and stuff like that in it.

My gym classes are 2 1/2 hours on wednesday, 1 1/2 hours on friday and 3 hours on saturday.

This has always been enough to do conditioning and skill work, but now, I will have to do some more advanced skills to improve, and I feel like these 7 hours a week are not enough.

So, I was wondering whether I could solely focus on skill work during my classes and do conditioning on my 4 off days at home.

That would mean:

Mon: FSP, overhead pressing and pulling, some core and leg work

Tue: FSP, horizontal pressing and pulling, some other core and leg work

Wed: Skill work at the gym

Thu: FSP, curling and dipping, again other core and leg work

Fri: Skill work at the gym

Sat: Skill work at the gym

Sun: FSP, MPPu and MPPr, some other core and leg work

Would that be reasonable or will I overtrain by that due to not having real rest days?

Philip Chubb

The rest day question really depends on you and your body. A new person to gymnastics wouldn't be able to last 2 weeks on this schedule. You might be able to. Try it and see. Either way, as long as you don't get injured, you will eventually adapt to it.

John Sapinoso

You'll be fine.

Thomas

Ok, I'll give it a try. Thanks!

Karl Kallio

If you wake up each day thinking "Yay! I'm going to train today!" then 7 days a week might work.

But if you're trying to balance studying, a job or other interests it might become a bit demanding mentally. And the worst thing would be to over do it and then get burned out. You might want to pick one or two days and add the words "if I feel like it" to your plan on those days. So that you can apply discipline and perserverance to your overall plan, but still have leeway in some moments to ease up if you need it.

Thomas

Well, that shouldn't be the problem.

Actually, I really like to work out. Of course it is nice, to gain muscles and strength, but I'm not doing it only for that. I'm doing it because I'm really having fun during my training. And my motivation has never been bigger than now, so I think I'll be fine with that.

But you're right, sometimes it can be really demanding to master school and stuff like that and then also have to train everyday. If I should feel like it is too much, I'll take a day off I guess.