Hello all, long time lurker here but this is my first post.
For the past year or so I have been working out primarily with kettlebells, following Pavel's Rite of Passage program, which focuses mainly on the single military press. At a weight of around 65kgs (5'10", 21yrs old), I have progessed through the ROP with the 16kg bell, the 24kg bell and am currently doing the program with a 28kg bell. My goal for a while now has been to complete the ROP with the 32kg bell (75 reps per arm @ 1/2 bodyweight) which I believe I will be able to achieve by the end of this year/beginning of next year.
However, after buying BTGB and reading all the great info on this site/forums, I have become increasingly interested with gymnastics training and have begun integrating aspects of it into my current routine.
I'm itching to start following the programs outlined in BTGB, and can see myself converting almost entirely to gymnastics training,
but I still very much want to achieve my goal of completing the ROP with the 32kg bell.
My question is, if I ultimately wish to focus on gymnastics training, to what extent will spending the next 8-12 months on a press specialization program help/hinder this cause?
I understand that gymnastics requires a strong shoulder girdle/core, both of which I believe are improved by overhead pressing, but will the carryover from this be worth the time spent on it?
thanks for your time