BtGB + Adult Classes (criticise my routine)

Started by timg, March 29, 2012 · 6 Replies · 2,594 Views

timg

I've recently started going to "adult classes" at a local gym. It's more of an open gym with coaches on hand if you want help with something. At the moment one of the coaches has wrote me up a program with the goal of improving my handstands and working towards handstand pushups.

I have a few questions for anyone/everyone:

What would be the best way to integrate my BtGB training with the strength and skill work that the coach has prescribed? At the moment the workout doesn't leave me completely beat and there are definitely areas that aren't being addressed.(WOD's?, my previous routine? killroy style?)

What would be the best way to utilise the opportunity of having coach attention? Is there anything technique wise that would greatly benefit from learning how to do perfectly or anything that i am unlikely to be able to learn by myself without someone watching or spotting?

FYI here is the current workout Monday and Thursday

warmup shoulder, wrist work etc.

Facing wall handstands for 5-10 minutes

2*15 planche bounces on swiss ball

5*tuck planche to failure

60 straight arm medicine ball throws on a thick mat

3*15 second reverse leg lift on a pommel horse (with widest possible straddle)

2*45 second hollow hold (not a struggle)

2*60 second arch hold (hard towards the end)

2*45 second horizontal handstand (i think i've heard it called reverse hollow)(I do this at a level where i'm comfortable at about 20cm from the ground)

2*15 dips on the p-bars

2*30 second pushup (15 sesond eccentric 15 second concentric)

I also do freestanding handstands throughout and practice rolling out etc.

I'm a bit unsure of the dips as i am going to failure on the second set and only getting 13. In addition to this i also do 5*5 pullups and 1 or 2 skin the cats on the high rings. I've also been playing around with swings on the PBs

Is there anything missing from this routine that absolutely needs adding? I've only been going for a week so i haven't noticed any changes in strength.

timg

I should really point out that i only have this opportunity until the end of this year which is why i'm trying to get the most out of it possible :)

Blairbob

Decent basic routine, but could do WAY better for focusing on hspu.

timg

After trolling through every post in skill development and looking at the topics posted in the other forums asking for technical help i have compiled a list of things that people seem to have the most trouble with learning on their own and things that are pretty dangerous.

floor

perfect handstand ->roll out properly

rolls

walkovers

roundoff/cartwheel

handspring (back/front)

press to handstand ->straddle L press to handstand ->L-sit press to handstand -> v-sit press to handstand

circles/flairs

pirrouettes

chest roll to handstand ->eventually bowers

Manna

pbars/rings

russian dip -> muscle-up

swings!!!

kip to support

pirrouettes

safety moves

So for the rest of the year this will be the focus of my routine in my adult classes, particularly those skills such as handstand presses, MANNA swings and muscle ups that are most important for conditioning.

does anyone else have anything to add to my list? keeping in mind i'll never be competitive and simply want to be more effective with my progression through the book

Blairbob

Nothing in there is really dangerous.

Skin the cats/360s on rings, rope climbs, L work.

timg
Blairbob said:
Nothing in there is really dangerous.

Skin the cats/360s on rings, rope climbs, L work.

Thanks Blairbob, I've started doing 3 second rope climbs for height as per a recommendation from another forum member

i'm pretty confident i'll be at this level by the end of the year 8)

4llXf3tTRf4

timg

Also, I wonder how many OAC's that guy can do