This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

WOD - 120326

Started by Coach Sommer, March 26, 2012 · 12 Replies · 1,817 Views

Coach Sommer

pwCv1Yjb8MI

Complete four rounds:

2 – Front Pulls

1 – 15’ Cirque

2 – Front Pulls

7 – FL Pulls

2 – Front Pulls

5 – FL Rows

notes:

1) Note that for today’s GB WOD, you will be performing 2 Front Pulls in between each of the assigned FBEs.

2) Adjust the body position as necessary during the Front Pulls. It is not necessary to use the same body position for both the ascent and descent.

3) It is however necessary to strive to keep the shoulder blades pulled strongly together during all front lever variation work. In addition, the FL Pulls should be performed with a slow deliberate motion.

4) If you do not have a rope, substitute 10-15 Towel Pull-ups for the Cirque.

5) Do not rest more than 30 seconds in between exercises. If you are resting more than this or are unable to achieve the RX'd repetitions, you need to scale down the workout to accommodate your current strength levels.

6) Rest 2-3 minutes between rounds.

Ghooble

What is a front pull? :oops:

I know what a front lever pull is and there is obviously a vid showing it but what's the difference between the two?

Nigel Leeming

xZmqGeChwjs

front pulls vs front lever pulls

Nigel Leeming

Here's me doing the full set (1 set of 4)

j6Mty9b-qMg

Cole Dano

Nice Nigel!

Josh Schmitter
Cole Dano said:
Nice Nigel!

+1. Also could you mail me your rope and pull up bar apparatus so I could borrow it for a bit. I believe you can ship that media mail :).

WOD:4 rounds/rx'd rests

2 – 1/2 tuck crank

10 -Towel Rows

2 – *Straddle Body Levers*

6 – Pulls ups(3 pallet band)

2 – 1/2 tuck crank

6 – XR Rows(160 degrees)

Notes:

-Felt really good today coming back after about a week off. I was doing Negative tuck front pulls for this in the past, but today I started with Body levers(also going to add these in WU) and then was happy to find I could do 1/2 crank in a tuck position without too much trouble. If I didn't alternate straddle body levers I believe my grip/forearms would have been pushed too hard. Last round of pull ups very hard.

*I know it's not really a perfect scale as ideally it should be a sub I can do for all the rounds, but as it's my grip/forearms that are the limiting factor, I feel like even Front Pull negatives are a problem. Any feedback much appreciated.

Ghooble
Nigel said:
xZmqGeChwjs

front pulls vs front lever pulls

Ohh I get it thanks Slizzardman!

Side question: Since I can't do Front Levers yet I was practicing a Tucked Front and I felt a weird pinch just above my left hip toward my abs and it hurt pretty bad so I stopped. Anyone got an idea of what this is? Never felt it before and I usually don't get pains when doing ANY type exercise.

Tyler Schmitz

Very very nice Nigel!

However, for maximal strength gains, shouldn't the front lever pulls be slightly slower and more controlled?? And if you can't do them slower in a full pike then shouldn't you change your body position (such as a flat tuck or half lay) to be able to slow them down? Again, this question is regarding building for maximal strength of course and by no means a negative comment or insult on your fine performance. lol

Ghooble
treemantyler said:
Very very nice Nigel!

However, for maximal strength gains, shouldn't the front lever pulls be slightly slower and more controlled?? And if you can't do them slower in a full pike then shouldn't you change your body position (such as a flat tuck or half lay) to be able to slow them down? Again, this question is regarding building for maximal strength of course and by no means a negative comment or insult on your fine performance. lol

I believe you are correct and I think he was just doing them quickly to show the movements. Not necessarily as part of his workout

Nigel Leeming

I have to confess I wasn't doing them quick to show the movement, and this was my workout. That's the speed I normally do them at, and I do struggle to get to 2. I don't think I could manage 3 front pulls.

To treemantyler: Not sure what you mean by "full pike". I think full pike, or just pike, means legs at 90 degrees to torso.

For maximal strength gains, I don't think 2 is enough, so I would go for somewhere between 3 and 6 in a reduced leverage position, either legs crossed or straddled, but still with a straight lower back. However, the WOD was for 2, so 2 it was in the most demanding body position I could manage. If I pulled my legs up in any way and slowed it down, I think I would have felt I was cheating by making it easier.

I did have a climbing competition the day before, so I was probably suboptimal although I felt pretty strong.

Thanks for all the nice comments.

Tyler Schmitz

Apologies, I meant full lay when I wrote full pike. The point I was trying to make (or question because I'm no expert) was that although you may be able to perform a more demanding body position at a faster pace, it may not be the most effective toward achieving maximal strength at the movement. This is just what I've understood from reading multiple Coach Sommer's and Slizzardman's essays. For example, I, myself, can perform several full lay (most advanced body position) FBEs; however, they can only be done at a faster pace in comparison to a less advanced body position. Consequently, I feel that I've had my best maximal strength progress performing many FBEs with a slower, more controlled pace in a less difficult body position such as flat tuck or half lay until my strength improves to where I can slow down the more advanced position pace such as full lay. Anyways, you look strong and athletic for sure at all your movements. Thanks for putting your video up! :)

Nigel Leeming

Hi Treemantyler. I've been thinking about what you wrote - all good food for the brain. It makes sense to go for a less demanding movement and perform it more slowly, particularly in light of the conversation going on elsewhere on the forum about scapular strength, so thanks for pointing that out. I find it's not until I have video of my efforts that I can see the faults - and sometimes not even then.

diotrephes

Four Rounds

2 – Front Pulls [tucked]

1 - Rope ascent

2 – Front Pulls [tucked]

7 – FL Pulls [tucked] (first two rounds then): Pull-ups

2 – Front Pulls [tucked]

5 – FL Rows [tucked]